• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Cleaning Up Old Video Footage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey guys,

So i have managed to get the footage from an old VHS tape of my sisters wedding (Using a TV card and S-Video input into my Windows PC).

However, i tried to clean the video up using some crappy program that came with the tv card (pinnacle studio 9) by applying some filters such as stabalize and colour enhance etc...

Now my Windows PC is not slow, im running an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor (1.8 GHz), 1GB Dual Channel RAM and a nVidia GForce 6600GT 128 MB Graphics card.

The reason i used my Windows machine to rip the video is that i have 2X250GB HD's whereas my iBook only has a 30GB HD (i have since found that i can simply connect the MAC to my PC and use it as a storage space via my network).

Anyways, after spending all day importing the video and applying the cleaning filters then waiting about 5 hours for it to get 4 mins through the footage (approx 8%) and then quitting the rendering process as it was taking way too long i decided to simply burn the footage to DVD, uncleaned.

Now it doesnt look "bad", just old. So i am wondering if there is a quicker and simpler way for me to clean up the footage using MAC wather than Windows, there probably is but bare in mind that i only have an iBook (although i can get access to a Power MAC by going into my studio at university if i need to).

Regards,

Chris. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you could take the footage to the powermac and through it in to final cut and run filters tehre, which will probably be faster then the windows pc and pinicle since i am nto a big fan of that software application. Final Cut should be able to make it look good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.