Alternative for Photoshop

Reaction score
Complete beginner here. What alternatives are available for Photoshop when using Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not a professional photographer, just an occasional amateur... but I use Pixelmator which is available from the Mac App Store for $14.99. It's a real bargain and works great.

C

chas_m

To give you the best answer, you'll need to tell us a little something about how you would normally use Photoshop.

Your post implies that you are not aware that Photoshop was originally a Mac program, and it has always been made for the Mac. So if you're familiar with Photoshop on Windows, the Mac version is available and very similar (mostly just remembering to use "command" for "alt" and "alt" for "Windows key" :))

As a general PS substitute I second chscag's Pixelmator suggestion. I use it every day for quick web work. It's a far cry from Photoshop's power but it does all of the same basic functions with great aplomb (though I wish they'd hurry up with that update, there's a bug in their resizing. They sent me a version to fix the issue but they should update the regular version).

OTOH if your main use of PS is retouching photos I would have different suggestions.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do know that PS is available for Mac, however I didn't know that it was originally a Mac program.
I only need the basic functions, and the reason I am looking for an alternative to PS is because I wanted to try and find a lower cost alternative. I think I will give Pixelmator a try.

C

chas_m

Definitely have a look at Pixelmator, also have a look at Photoshop Elements. I find these two options to be wildly different from one another, and thus better suited to one group or the other depending on their needs. PS Elements is about $100, Pixelmator is about $15.

Currently my favourite program for making my photos look better is Snapseed, which is free on iOS (the Mac version has been -- criminally -- discontinued).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thought I had posted this already but here goes. You might want to check out Graphic Converter. It has a demo available and I think that is fully functional. I've used it quite a bit over the years and like it. I haven't used the current version much though.

There are a number of Photoshop plug-ins that work with Graphic Convertor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.