MBA Charger overheating

Reaction score
Just for the record, I have a MacBook Air 13 and the charger does get really hot, but only if I'm running something intensive while charging. If I watch YouTube while it's charging, the temps become dangerous, otherwise, it just gets fairly hot, but nothing unusual. I'll probably get something for it to sit on, so it doesn't set my house on fire if I fall asleep watching a video.

It would of been very easy to simply make it bigger, but I guess that's the Apple philosophy: Style before function, no matter what.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Your post was moved to a separate thread since you posted to one that was 5 to 6 years old. If your charger is overheating, you should contact Apple if it is still under warranty.

OP
C
Reaction score
Cheers. I saw it was old, but thought people may still read it as I found it on the first page on Google when looking for info about the charger.

My machine is under warranty, it's about 3 weeks old. There's no Apple Store here to take it to though, and the retailer, John Lewis, will either replace the item, voiding my statutory rights, or just give me the cash back, so I can buy another MacBook. I'm not sure I want another machine that will likely do the same thing. I don't think it's this particular charger. It seems to just be a case of poor design.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have not heard of that problem with the new MBA 13" machine. An Apple charger should not be overheating regardless of model. I suspect there may be a problem with the charger unit itself and not the design. Also, I don't understand why your Apple dealer would want to replace the entire machine rather than just the charger?

OP
C
Reaction score
I'll ask them, but the problem is UK law. If I buy an electrical item, it comes with a 12 month warranty by law. If it's defective, the law entitles me to a refund of the amount originally paid. If I agree to allow the shop to replace an item instead, that is an unregulated agreement, and has no protection, so, if the new item breaks, there's no warranty. Plus, if you get a refund and buy a new item, it's a new purchase and comes with a new warranty. Strange in fact, but true in law.

John Lewis will happily offer a replacement, like any UK retailer, because it excepts them from a liability. This is why it's a pain in the **** to sort out.

My niece just bought the MBP 13, so I guess I could borrow her charger and see if it happens still. If I'm browsing the Web or something, the charger is cool to warm, but if I watch half an hour of YouTube while charging, it'll get so hot I can only touch it gently. gripping it firmly burns my skin.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, OK. The warranty is different in the UK. Actually, you have better protection than we have. If my charger overheats, Apple here in the US would replace it under its Apple Care warranty without that affecting the overall warranty. The original warranty would continue for one year or three if I bought the extended version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.