10.6.8 to 10.8.4 blank screen and no sound on .mp4 and .mov files

Reaction score
I have two iMacs. One older runs 10.6.8 and the other newer Mac I updated to 10.8.4. The older mac runs my GOPRO .mp4 files and other .mov files just fine.

I am in the process of transferring all my files manually over to my newer Mac and discovered that SOME CERTAIN .mp4 and .mov files are now blank screens with no sound. I transferred them onto an external hard drive and then tried running them from the eternal hard drive using the new mac system as well as transferring them onto the new Mac hard drive. No luck.

NEW movie files from my GOPRO (.mp4) and from my video camera (.mov) work just fine on the newer Mac 10.8. I looked at the files sizes on the non playing files and they are all different and appropriate. So I believe the file is actually there. Just not being played. Quicktime opens.. I click play and the playbar moves but no sound and no picture.

My newer and older Mac have iMovie / Aperture and Final Cut Pro. None play these files on the newer Mac.

So what is getting lost or changing as a result of my transfer?
How can I get these files in question to play on the newer Mac?

All I want to know is that my files are safe, backed up and ready to play on my new computer so I can wipe out the old Mac hard drive and sell it. I dont dare until I know my files are accessible fully to me on the new Mac.

Thanks for any assistance and insight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Mountain Lion OS X.8, and Lion OS X.7, cannot play any older PowerPC applications as Rosetta is no longer supported as it was in Snow Leopard OS X.6. Perhaps your software on the older machine is actually PowerPC, an older version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.