Macbook Pro Display Split Into 4

Reaction score
After resetting the NVRAM (control, option, P, R) on my Macbook Pro 1,1 (2007) running 10.6.8 The screen is now split into 4 parts, each displaying the same thing. The screen immediately appears this way at the first grey screen, however if I do another NVRAM reset, upon restart after the second startup chime, the screen is normal but then after the cog stops spinning, the screen flickers, turns blue and splits into four again.

Another thing is when I tried using the Apple Hardware Test I couldn't read the instructions as the resolution was too small, but once I restarted and change my display resolution in System Preferences, the resolution was readable in AHT. I assumed the System Settings were loading when the OS had booted and that AHT runs without any of these settings (if that makes sense?)

I realize the MBP is quite old now but any help would be much appreciated

Thanks.

MBP Display.JPG

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is...what application did you install previously that allowed this sort of customizing?

I could be wrong...but I do not believe this is anything related to the stock/unmodified/uncustomized Apple hardware or Mac OS.

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
My question is...what application did you install previously that allowed this sort of customizing?

I could be wrong...but I do not believe this is anything related to the stock/unmodified/uncustomized Apple hardware or Mac OS.

- Nick

Hi, not sure what you mean? I never actually installed or customized anything, I just reset the NVRAM and after a reboot my display appeared this way. It is unintentional and unwanted. The display acts this way even with the internal hard disk removed.

Is there a way of configuring graphics before the OS boots? Or anything in this vein?

I have seen one or two other people online with this issue but nobody seems to know anything about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you have not used software such as SizeUp and the operating system loads, run Repair Permissions and then do a NVRAM reset. Fingers crossed.

Resetting the NVRAM - Mac Guides

OP
E
Reaction score
If you have not used software such as SizeUp and the operating system loads, run Repair Permissions and then do a NVRAM reset. Fingers crossed.

Resetting the NVRAM - Mac Guides

Thanks, I tried all of this and nothing.

It's weird that after a PRAM/NVRAM reset, it displays correctly up until a point and then flickers and displays the split screen??

I'm guessing that at the point it switches, some graphics settings are applied or drivers (or something) is loaded to cause it to do this. It even happens in safe boot.

Any ideas how to changes these settings? Or a total system/hardware/BIOS reset?

I'm sure it's not the OS since it happened with no physical disc in the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well no BIOS in macs and NVRAM reset takes you into firmware. Did you run Repair Permissions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm guessing that at the point it switches, some graphics settings are applied or drivers (or something) is loaded to cause it to do this. It even happens in safe boot.

If it happens in safe boot mode as you indicate above, then it's likely a hardware problem. Most probably with the graphics. Your machine is equipped with the nVidia GPU which has been problematic in your year MBP and for several years after. Not much you can do since the extended warranty for that has expired. Time for a new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.