Wifi to Wifi Sharing

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'd like to pick your minds for a minute or two. Before I do, let me tell you my situation. My current internet provider only allows one device per account. So I ordered a mini wifi usb card in an attempt to share the incoming wifi to the other card and start a mini network. Has anyone attempted this with any success? I haven't been able to.

I'm on a Macbook Pro 15" (late 2011) and have all the latest updates (10.8.4).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Have you actually got the device working? ie installed the drivers and connected it to your wireless network?

OP
Reaction score
I do have the drivers installed, I'm just not sure exactly how it's supposed to be set up. I've done everything I can think of.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The MacOS is listed as supported though some of the things I've seen are a bit vague. I had a similar device on my Mac Pro and ran into a situation where the drivers worked on one version of the OS but not some others.

One other thing to consider here is that it may work for general connections but not for this situation. One of the devices I was using worked unless I tried to establish a peer to peer network

Having been in a similar situation several years ago I found that generally there were only a few options that worked reliably:

1. Contact the ISP. They may want you to purchase a second license (seat) for the second machine. This is usually only a few dollars a month.
2. Purchase an actual router and connect that to the modem. Then the router can distribute signals to other devices. Most routers are seen as one machine connected to the system. Many support a feature called "cloning" so that it uses the same machine ID as a machine that is configured.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.