MacBook Pro and home network

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if I am posting to the wrong forum as I am a very new member.
My problem is that I am using my MacBook Pro as my primary computer. This means it must be connected to my cable modem, which in turn, is connected to my router.

This means that if I disconnect the MacBook Pro from the cable modem, this takes down the wireless home network (I assume).

Is there any workaround that would permit me to take the MacBook Pro with me but leave the home network up and running?

Barring that, what if I was to buy a really cheap used PC and connect the modem to it? If so, would I still be able to run my iPad and iPhone off the network or would I have to do something special?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It sounds like something is not connected properly. In most home network situations disconnecting the MacBook Pro does not stop the wireless network from functioning.

Here's my basic setup though I have a few other things added:

1. Incoming wire connected to the modem.
2. Ethernet wire connects modem to router. The router provides wireless signal as well as extra ports allowing computers to connect by wire if they wish,

The modem may also be capable of providing the wireless signal but that's not important at this point. The main thing is the order the devices are connected.

If you can tell us the model of your router and modem we can help fix that. Also, it would help to know the internet provider so we can identify what the appropriate router settings should be.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the response

Maybe I misled you. Everything is working fine now. I have the cable connected to an Xfinity (Comcast) modem, which is ethernet wired to a Linksys router.The Linksys router is ethernet wired to my Mac Mini. My objective is to replace the MacMini with the MacBook Pro. I assumed (maybe wrongly) that I would have to ethernet connect the Pro to the router and that when I disconnected the router from the MacBookk Pro, the network would go down.

Is this not true? I would like it a lot if I'm wrong.

BTW - the response link in your email didn't work.

Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think I get it now. Not necessarily mislead by your post but I did misunderstand it a bit.

If you disconnect the wire running from the MacBook Pro to the router that does not affect the rest of the network. When you come back simply plug it back in and things should be fine. In fact you could have both machines connected to the router at the same time. That may require making minor changes to the network settings but that can be easily explained.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.