ipad mini wifi problems

Reaction score
I was having wifi issues with my mini. I took it to the apple store and it worked there. I bought an airport extreme for home router and no everything is working including the ipad mini. When I travel, everything except my ipad mini can connect to the hotel router. I also tried many other hot spots with the same result. This problem seems to be limited to the ipad mini. My wife has 1st gen ipad and it connects fine when traveling. My iphone4s and macbook pro also connect without issues. Looks like I have to look at picking up an iPad 2.

C

chas_m

You contradict yourself a little in the post, which makes things confusing. You said in the first part of your message that the iPad mini connected to Wi-Fi at the Apple Store, and that it also connects at home. Thus, we can conclude that the Wi-Fi is working properly and that the iPad mini is not defective.

This would tend to suggest that there is a setting on the iPad mini that is not set correctly for connecting to networks outside your home.

While your iPad mini is connected to your home network, open the settings and take a look at the detailed connection info for your home network. First and foremost, your "IP address" section needs to be set to DHCP and not BootP or Static. If it's not set to DHCP, that's the problem and bob's your uncle.

Make sure that "HTTP Proxy" is off as well.

One last thing: when you do take the iPad mini to, say, a coffeehouse or somewhere, can it see the available network? Does it ask to connect? Can you connect manually? Do you connect OK but then just can't go anywhere?

OP
M
Reaction score
Ipad mini wifi issues

Thanks for the reply. I was not able to use wifi at home until I replaced my net gear router with an apple router. I tried connecting this morning at a friends place, who has a linksys router. The ipad finds the network just fine. I get an error indicating "unable to connect to network linksys". I tried using other network and entering the ssid in the name field. The router is set up to use wep. I set the security field to wep and entered the password. I still get the same error message. I will try in town at a hotspot that doesn't use a secure network, but I recall getting the same error there as well.

I do have dhcp selected and http proxy set to none.
Thanks for any suggestions as to what settings are wrong.,
Mike

C

chas_m

I do recall some reports that newer iOS devices, for security reasons, don't like WEP networks with less than a 40-bit key. I don't know that that's the issue here, but your mentioning of WEP reminded me of the problem.

There have also been reports that some iPad minis have defective 2.4GHz antennas (easy way to test: 802.11n 5GHz networks connect perfectly every time). If you think this is the problem, return the unit to Apple for testing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.