MacBook Air - Identify 'Other' Files

OP
M
Reaction score
ms office 2011 for mac.

time machine backup yesterday only.

no external backup able to be after that as external drive unable to work - which does not allow me to run any data recovery software.

basically stuffed now and lots of tears.

i appreciate your assistance in all above.

dad/Claudia.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Gotta get that backup drive working - if TM backup done yesterday, everything can be restored from there.

Does it have an on/off switch?
List make and model - perhaps someone is familiar with the drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
seagate 1tb expansion drive
PN 1D6AP6-500
model number SRD 00F1

No ON/OFF Switch exists and no AC Power connection

both usb ports work and recognise a different external drive that i plug in.

when i plug in this seagate external drive (TM drive) into my MSWindows driven PC, it is detected but asks for a driver software to be installed before the contents of can be read (probably a MAC SW compatibility issue with the MS Windows OS??).

so, it comes down to this seagate drive not being read on the MBA laptop for some reason.

When i look into Disk Utility, only the SSD Flash drive appears - and not the plugged in Seagate External Drive.

I have reset the SMC (simultaneous hold down of keys shift, control, option and power) - no luck still.

Dad

C

chas_m

Open Disk Utility and then plug in the external drive and see if it can "see" it. Some external drives that don't have an AC plug require a dual-headed USB plug in order to get enough power from the machine to mount -- I have one like that.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I saw a post in the Seagate forums about this drive and OS X 10.8. Since the drive is not officially supported under Mac the response essentially boiled down to here's a list of our drives that are Mac compatible go out and buy one.

Here's what I would try if you haven't already. Get a USB hub and plug it into the Mac then plug the drive into the hub. Almost any brand USB hub will do but make sure it is one that comes with a power cord that plugs into an electrical outlet. Some drives which suddenly don't function on USB power alone will function with this arrangement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.