Trash won't empty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPad 3rd Gen, AppleTV
I'm unable to empty my Trash (OS X 10.7.5) of backup files deleted from an external hard drive.

I'm not running any anti-virus software and have recently updated software and rebooted, still no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks heaps!

Jane :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Re-connect the external drive and then try it again.

OP
Tazzie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for suggestion

Re-connect the external drive and then try it again.

I disconnected hard drive and the trash deleted, yay!

Sadly though, when I reconnected the external drive, the trash reappeared. Bugger.

Guess I'm back to the drawing board ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sadly though, when I reconnected the external drive, the trash reappeared. Bugger.

You're supposed to empty the trash with the external hard drive connected not the other way around! ;)

OP
Tazzie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I tried that first ...

You're supposed to empty the trash with the external hard drive connected not the other way around! ;)

Yes, I tried first, several times, sadly with no success :'(

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Jane

What folks are saying is that "Trash" is directly related to the source which created the trash in the fist place.

So, if you had an external hard drive of any sort (USB included) and you deleted something to trash, the only way you can empty the trash is when you have the same device mounted/attached.

However, sometimes the trash won't empty even when the original source is mounted/attached. One way to solve this is to download the free app OnyX (Google it). But make sure that you download the version specific for your OS, in your case, Lion. Also ensure that your EHD or whatever is mounted/attached.

Once downloaded, open it in the usual way. It will scan your HD and thereafter ask you to verify your admin PW. Do this.

Then, from the options available from the main menu, select, "Cleaning" and then "Trash", then hit "Execute". This will empty all your trashes.

I hope this explains things and helps. Please report back.

Ian

OP
Tazzie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank You!

Hi Ian

Many thanks for your help – OnyX worked!!

Cheers

Hi Jane

What folks are saying is that "Trash" is directly related to the source which created the trash in the fist place.

So, if you had an external hard drive of any sort (USB included) and you deleted something to trash, the only way you can empty the trash is when you have the same device mounted/attached.

However, sometimes the trash won't empty even when the original source is mounted/attached. One way to solve this is to download the free app OnyX (Google it). But make sure that you download the version specific for your OS, in your case, Lion. Also ensure that your EHD or whatever is mounted/attached.

Once downloaded, open it in the usual way. It will scan your HD and thereafter ask you to verify your admin PW. Do this.

Then, from the options available from the main menu, select, "Cleaning" and then "Trash", then hit "Execute". This will empty all your trashes.

I hope this explains things and helps. Please report back.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Delighted it worked Jane and thanks for reporting back. By doing so, others with a similar problem in the future can follow this thread.

OnyX, as you will have seen by now, is a powerful tool; to be used sparingly. But when you have a problem with your Mac, it often solves it.

Good luck.

Ian

Reaction score
Also you can try holding down Option while emptying the trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.