13" White MacBook Screen Flickering

Reaction score
My MacBook's screen starts to flicker when it loads the desktop after boot or waking from sleep mode. (It never goes completely black, but there is flickering for about 15 seconds, then it returns to normal.) I was wondering how or if I can fix this issue without replacing the screen. I don't want to replace the screen because its too expensive and difficult for me to do on my own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It may be the inverter, which in itself is cheap. But depending on which MacBook you have it can be a tricky home replacement if you aren't confident doing such things.

Take a look on ifixit.com to see what's involved

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which MacBook do you have, year and model? The reason we need this info is I believe the last MacBook model Apple produced used an LED backlighted screen and therefore would have no inverter. However as a start, do what member mrplow suggests first.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your MacBook does use an Inverter board since it's a 2007 model. Did you follow up by checking the compatibility list that's given by powerbook medic? Your model MacBook does not appear on that list. You might want to give them a call on their 800 number and check before you buy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just for completeness sake. I would also have a look at the video cable...just to make sure it's not damaged/frayed.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Once you're sure you have the right part please read and absorb the ifixit guide.

I'd also suggest taking you're own pictures along the way and work methodically keeping a note of which screws and parts go where.

It's in interesting but tricky little repair. The Mac needs stripping down considerably.

It's also a good opportunity to clean the fan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.