Black screen after OS X 10.6.8 update

Reaction score
I'm having to update my version of iTunes, and by default my version of OS X to accommodate my new ipod. It will not work with my current set up.

When updating from OS X 10.6.2 to 10.6.8 via 'Mac OS X update combined' in software update, I get a black screen after instillation. I've heard of others having this problem but haven't seen any clear way of rectifying it that I can understand (I'm not that technically literate when it comes to computers).

The computer seems to run in the background but with no screen image. All I get is a check video cable, which I think is an actual screen message, rather than coming from my desk top.

Is there any work around or direct fix? Thanks,

Mac Pro
OS X 10.6.2
3.32 GHz Qaud-Core Intel Xeon
3 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4870

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Tried a Safe Mode boot?

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes, I started up in safe mode after it happened and performed disk maintenance. There were a few things that it fixed, but the black screen remained. It was then that I reloaded OS X from the Install DVD, but that put me back to the start. So I'm still on 10.6.2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.