Mac OS X Internet problems

Reaction score
I own an iMac OS X and the Internet is having problems. Randomly, the DSL disconnects. When it connects again, I have to turn off WIFI and turn on again. When I play online games like Minecraft, it disconnects. Is it the internet or the iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
A
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like DNS address problems. What model iMac and what version of OS X? When online go into Network > Advanced > DNS and check out what it says there. You may find it nec essary to change to say Google DNS of 8.8.8.8 Primary and 8.8.4.4 Secondary. Also have a read of this thread:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/in...less/300249-slow-internet-mac-but-not-pc.html

Model 21.5-inch, Mid 2011

Version 10.7.5
I tried changing the DNS but it still has the problem

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I own an iMac OS X and the Internet is having problems. Randomly, the DSL disconnects. When it connects again, I have to turn off WIFI and turn on again. When I play online games like Minecraft, it disconnects. Is it the internet or the iMac?

It sounds more like interference to me. DNS problems generally cause the slow loading of web pages but not intermittent disconnects. At least that has been my experience.

Are you in close proximity to other networks? Living in an apartment building? Do you own a wireless telephone at home? All these can cause interference and the intermittent loss of signal. Download the free iStumbler utility and run it. It will show other networks in your area and the channel and security they're using.

Report back the results and we'll try to figure something out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read my reply to you above, no need to post pictures.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Copy the results of what iStumbler reported and post them here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Charlie I thought iStumbler was OS X.6 Snow Leopard only, apart from a beta version 100 for Lion which is untested? Is there a later release I am not up with please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using iStumbler with Mountain Lion Harry. All it says in the "About" is that it's release # 99. Here's the download LINK

Works great. I just tested it again to make sure.

OP
A
Reaction score
Mode: Network
Network Name: 2WIRE694
Level: 7 green bars
Signal: 79%
Noise: 9%
Channel: 7
Frequency: 2442
Mac Address 00:1b:5b:4b:ba:11
Vendor: 2wire
Samples: 25

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That information is not what we need. Take a look at my example screenshot and post the same thing from your copy of iStumbler.

Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 8.43.02 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Also, can you tell us WHAT the pictures above are (not you, chscag)? Is that your WiFi router, and your router is connected to a DSL modem? Or is that a DSL modem/router combo device? The red internet light might tell us something IF we know what device we're looking at.

OP
A
Reaction score
Also, can you tell us WHAT the pictures above are (not you, chscag)? Is that your WiFi router, and your router is connected to a DSL modem? Or is that a DSL modem/router combo device? The red internet light might tell us something IF we know what device we're looking at.

Yes, it is my Router connected to DSL

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a start, try changing your encryption scheme to WPA2 from WEP. WEP can be easily compromised and it is unstable. In order to change, you will need to get into your router's setup menu. Normally the way to enter the router setup menu is through your browser. You should have some instructions with the router that will tell you how to do it. It will also require typing in a userid and password. Again, check your router manual.

Make sure you have an ethernet cable handy to attach to the router before getting into it to make changes. The ethernet cable is a safety feature in case you get disconnected. Also, you might want to write down the information that your router menu is currently using before making any changes so that you can always go back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
OK, looks like you don't have an interference problem.

Note - WEP is useless as a WiFi encryption method. Your neighbors could easily break into your local network. This is something you should fix, by using WPA2 - but has nothing to do with the current internet issue.
(there are reasons to use the outdated WEP protocol - I have a 17 yr old Newton that can only use WEP, for instance.)

So - your issue seems to be either a router problem or a phone system/ISP problem. I don't know of any way to troubleshoot that without asking your ISP for help.
(the red light for "Internet" means your router isn't locked on to the DSL signal)

OP
A
Reaction score
As a start, try changing your encryption scheme to WPA2 from WEP. WEP can be easily compromised and it is unstable. In order to change, you will need to get into your router's setup menu. Normally the way to enter the router setup menu is through your browser. You should have some instructions with the router that will tell you how to do it. It will also require typing in a userid and password. Again, check your router manual.

Make sure you have an ethernet cable handy to attach to the router before getting into it to make changes. The ethernet cable is a safety feature in case you get disconnected. Also, you might want to write down the information that your router menu is currently using before making any changes so that you can always go back.

I couldn't get in the menu

Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 6.11.20 PM.png

OP
A
Reaction score
OK, looks like you don't have an interference problem.

Note - WEP is useless as a WiFi encryption method. Your neighbors could easily break into your local network. This is something you should fix, by using WPA2 - but has nothing to do with the current internet issue.
(there are reasons to use the outdated WEP protocol - I have a 17 yr old Newton that can only use WEP, for instance.)

So - your issue seems to be either a router problem or a phone system/ISP problem. I don't know of any way to troubleshoot that without asking your ISP for help.
(the red light for "Internet" means your router isn't locked on to the DSL signal)

The red light is on DSL

C

chas_m

Awesomema: not all routers use 192.168.1.1 -- you can find out what IP address for the router is by looking here

Router-info.jpg

You get to this window from Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> TCP/IP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.