Boot Camp

Reaction score
I have 10.6.8 Can i download bootcamp from apple.com directly ? I see on the site a bunch of support downloads but not the ability to just purchase it and download it as a DMG. is a ISO cd the only way to get it done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
BootCamp version 3 is on Snow Leopard OS X.6 under Utilities. You did use a full retail install DVD to install Snow Leopard? Also update to OS X.6.8 using the Combo Updater. Consider increasing the memory on whatever Mac model this is on.

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

OP
A
Reaction score
OK i realize now It's built in. So i dig out my OSX install CDs that came with the mac book. and i did a 29GB partition and while trying to partition it I got this error message.

This Disk Cannot be Partitioned Because Some of the File cannot be removed-

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

I guess its time to back up all my stuff and this will be a clean install ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well 29GB is nowhere near enough ~ suggest at least 40GB. You have to Partition using the BootCamp Assistant. Print and read the guidelines. Before starting BootCamp, the drive must be in one single partition, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

OP
A
Reaction score
i was using the boot camp assistant. ive never tried to partition this HD before.

OP
A
Reaction score
under disk utility it says

Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

soo.....I am already under the format I should be yes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That error is a bit cryptic. What it's telling you is that your hard drive is fragmented. Although there may be enough empty space to create a Boot Camp partition, all your empty space is not continuous. You have two choices to fix it:

1. Make a Time Machine backup (full). Erase the hard drive, reinstall OS X and then restore from Time Machine. The fragmentation will be removed.

2. Third party de-fragmenting tool or utility. I use iDefrag which is $30.95, download from here.

The first method above works well and is free. Use that.

OP
A
Reaction score
doing a time machine full back up now. after this can I just put in my OSX install CD or do i need to use Dissk Utility to erase my free space.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't erase the disk while you're booted from it, so yes, you'll need to boot with your OS X disk and use Disk Utility to erase and then reinstall.

OP
A
Reaction score
well ...i...i....reinstalled...osx....and...every..time...i...hit...the..space...a...bar...the..safari..wind.ow...scrolls...down...instead.of.making.a.space.in.my.tex.t....and.the.back.space.wants.to.go.bacl.....back...a.page...really...hard....to..type....also...the...version...ofwindows...i...have...on...disc....is....XP...not...XP...service..pack..2

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can not install XP SP nothing using Boot Camp. It has to be at least XP SP-2 and must be a full install version. Upgrades will not work.

OP
A
Reaction score
I see. well it asked me to insert the disc and I said "not now" and patched up on my OSX. Ive decided I dont want to partition it anymore. iStat is showing the partition now as "BOOTCAMP" and it having 32GB...

What do I need to do to get rid of that partition? Do i have to intsall OSX all over again? AGAIN?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open the Boot Camp Assistant and use the option to remove Boot Camp. That should do it, however, if for some reason it doesn't, you'll need to boot with your OS X disk and use Disk Utility to remove it. The partition tab in Disk Utility is what you would use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
XP with no service pack? Wow where did that come from?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Believe it or not Harry, I've got an old upgrade Windows XP disk laying around with no service pack. I also have a full install XP SP 2 and SP 3 disk. As a matter of fact I've got more Windows install disks than I know what to do with - going all the way back to Windows 3.0. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.