• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie question

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to the iMovie. Trying to collect some movies from my digital camera. I have about 30 movies, that are about 2-3mins long.
What I do is, I get the movies and "load" them from my folder to the iMovie. The thing is so big in size now. I placed about 12 movies and have already around 3Ggs od data. Is that right? Is there anyway I can compress it.
I would like to be able to fit all 30 pieces on 1 DVD-compress it and still be able to view it on TV at reasonable quality.

Please help

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You should be able to fit your 30 short videos on a DVD. A standard DVD (single layer) hold about 2 hours of video. 1 minute of video will take about 216mb of disk space. So 30 videos at about 3 minutes each, comes to 90 minutes. So you can get all of video on one DVD. As for raw disk space, you will need at least 19.5GB to hold the data. Once you process (encode) the data is will fit on the DVD.

OP
I
Reaction score
thank you for responding

How do I encode it after finishing the whole thing?

thanx

OP
I
Reaction score
What I mean is, what is the best way to export/share the movie?
I am planning to view it on my TV. I am saving it at the highest quality now and I get 9GB of data. I will not be even able to burn it to the DVD, also I am running out of space on my machine...:)
Will the CD quality be OK for viewing on TV?

thanx for any response

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.