locating qualfied repair staff

Reaction score
I have an Apple iMAC, recently upgraded to Lion. this was done with the expectation that the cursor hang, computer freeze ups, and computer crashes would stop. these conditions still persist. the problem is that I had taken the iMAC into the Apple Genius Bar several times at 3 difference stores and they give difference diagnoses. I did not have the OS X upgrade performed by them. I had the work done by someone else

I frequently go into Disk Utility and do the verify disk permissions, and check the disk but I'm stlll getting cursor hang , and computer freeze ups. now if you had this problem and hadn't getting consistent diagnoses for the problem(from Apple's Genuis Bars), how would you go about find an really Good iMAC repair person without having to rely on the Genius Bars?

J

Reaction score
Which model imac, which version of OS X (10.7.x)?
How much memory?
How much empty drive space left?
How many apps running at once?

OP
S
Reaction score

it is 10.7.5

4GB in RAM

I usually have MS Excel, Apple/s Mail app, up to 5 different Website's, and a Stock Trading related applicaton open

my disk utility say I'm using just under 69GB, and have 430GB available

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well who actually did the Lion upgrade if not an Apple reseller nor yourself?

OP
S
Reaction score

it wasn't me and the individual in question is someone I've decided I need an alternative to.
(they worked for themself and I was referred to them).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You still did not tell us which iMac you have? Year and model?

Also, rarely if ever will an OS X upgrade fix the problems you were experiencing. Whoever recommended the upgrade was just guessing on that.

I frequently go into Disk Utility and do the verify disk permissions, and check the disk but I'm stlll getting cursor hang , and computer freeze ups. now if you had this problem and hadn't getting consistent diagnoses for the problem(from Apple's Genuis Bars), how would you go about find an really Good iMAC repair person without having to rely on the Genius Bars?

Sorry, but the Apple techs still are the best when it comes to solving problems with your Mac. They have the experience, the diagnostic software, and more importantly, the ability to replace the defective parts if any.

The problems you're having are likely caused by defective hardware but can also be caused by software glitches. What happens when you start your iMac in safe mode and run it that way for awhile?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well sounds like he pirated Lion. Do as suggested in Safe Mode and post back.

OP
S
Reaction score
You still did not tell us which iMac you have? Year and model?

Also, rarely if ever will an OS X upgrade fix the problems you were experiencing. Whoever recommended the upgrade was just guessing on that.

Sorry, but the Apple techs still are the best when it comes to solving problems with your Mac. They have the experience, the diagnostic software, and more importantly, the ability to replace the defective parts if any.

The problems you're having are likely caused by defective hardware but can also be caused by software glitches. What happens when you start your iMac in safe mode and run it that way for awhile?

Chscag"

its an Apple Imac 21" bought in 2007. the harddisk was replaced in July of 2012.

I haven't switched to safe mode. how do you do that? and if I do so, how long would you suggest I do so?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting your info. Your iMac is fairly old so there may be some other things that are coming into play. I'm thinking that it's possible the fans (there are 3) may be clogged or the vents may not be pushing as much air thru them as they should.

To get into safe mode, restart the iMac and hold down your shift key until you see the big Apple appear on the screen. Safe mode blocks all third party drivers and startup programs from running. At the same time it stops the sound module from working - but that's OK. It also removes some networking things but that should not affect you.

Run that way for awhile. Let's see what happens. Post back and we can go from there with something else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.