Parallels Desktop 8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
When I bought my first iMac in 2010 I partitioned the drive and installed Windows XP and it worked fine. However that iMac crashed and was replaced by Apple. I decided not to install Windows XP on it but to use an old PC for applications that would only work with Windows.

Yesterday I saw the Parallels software package on sale in my local Apple store and asked about it. I don't think a version was available for Mountain Lion in 2010. I understand that I will need Parallels Desktop 8 but I am rather puzzled by the two versions, the more expensive Parallels Desktop 8 switch, the cheaper version in a red box just called Parallel Desktop 8.

It looks as if the switch version would enable me to switch the set up cleanly from PC to iMac and includes comprehensive instructions omitted from the cheaper version.

There are some faults in the current setup of my PC, for example something called SolutionCenter asks me for a feature from a CD that I don't have at initialisation.

Whilst it would be tiresome to have to restart everything from scratch it might anyway be the better solution.

Which version should I buy?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I may be wrong but I think the "switch" version includes a connection cable and an additional tool call Parallels Transporter to make moving from PC to Mac a bit more convenient. Switch from PC to Mac - Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac edition - Parallels

If I am not mistaken the transfer can be made without the cable. For me the transfer tool software was somewhat helpful but that was a few versions ago. I've moved to Fusion and have not used Parallels in a while.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Thanks. I've looked at some Fusion stuff on the Internet. It looks as if I would be able to run Windows XP which is what I want.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Fusion vs Parallel?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have not used Parallels in some times though I was reasonably happy with it at the time. I have minimal needs for running Windows at all (one website needed for work) so both have run well for me. My main reason for switching was finding a good deal on Fusion and then finding a similar deal on a second license a few days later.

There are a number of comparisons on the web and you might find this one useful. Fusion 5 still supports XP as well.

I believe both versions have free trials. Also, unless something has changed recently if you start with one program and then decide to switch you can migrate the existing virtual machine rather than starting over. Shift the virtual machine from say Parallels to Fusion or vice versa.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks. I've looked at some Fusion stuff on the Internet. It looks as if I would be able to run Windows XP which is what I want.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Fusion vs Parallel?

In my humble opinion, none when it comes to running XP. As a matter of fact, I would forgo using either and instead download and install the free VirtualBox from Oracle which will do just as well without all the frills.

VirtualBox Download

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.