Hard drive crashed when I brought my lap top into Apple

Reaction score
I brought my laptop in because my mouse pad needed fixing. My mouse was moving all over the screen and clicking on things. The next day I came to pick my laptop up and it wouldn't start, so the staff turned it on and off again and still nothing, so one of the technicians cane and asked to do a diagnostics on my laptop and an hour later they came back saying my hard drive is not working. Really frustrated because now I have to pay who knows what kind of money to have some adar recovery place retrieve my files. Shouldn't Apple be paying for this when my lap top is only 6 months old and other then my mouse pad everything else was working perfectly? They said I would get a new hard drive but what about the damages they caused and the cost for me to recover my files.

Anyone else have something similar happen to them?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Really frustrated because now I have to pay who knows what kind of money to have some adar recovery place retrieve my files. Shouldn't Apple be paying for this when my lap top is only 6 months old and other then my mouse pad everything else was working perfectly?
Yes, if it worked correctly and without fault beforehand, it could very well be something that a tech did. Sure, it could have been coincidental but I doubt it (especially for such a new hard drive).

They said I would get a new hard drive but what about the damages they caused and the cost for me to recover my files.
Unless you had a backup and/or they (or you) can recover the files, there's not much you can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
When replacing a trackpad the hard drive isn't touched. Although it might seem to you that the hard drive was damaged, they can fail at anytime, and do. They are more liable to fail in later life, but I've replaced hard drives in Mac's from a week old onwards. It's nothing to do with the Mac, hard drives fail in all computers. Apple, all computer manufacturers, and service companies exclude themselves from being responsible for data recovery, this is the legal norm, not just Apple. It is wise to backup regularly even when a Mac is fairly new. You could have dropped your laptop or had it stolen, another reason for regularly backing up. I can understand how you you feel, but this is the reality.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Agree with Steve. As I've said before, hard drives can fail anytime, and like Steve, I doubt that the Apple techs caused it. I have had a brand new hard drive right out of the box fail. Not making backups can be a hard lesson to learn....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Apple warranty applies for twelve months if you purchased new. Was this an Apple reseller who did this work?

C

chas_m

I have no comment on the cause of the hard drive failure. It could have happened when they were doing the repair, it could have just been coincidental.

What I do know is that you had the laptop for six months and never made a backup. That part -- and the cost of recovering the files -- is on your shoulders, not theirs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.