10.6.8 sound problems related to headphones and inability change the sound easily

Reaction score
Recently, I've had this problem when plugging in head phones where it would somehow or another change my sound preferences or something.

After plugging in my head phones I can not use the keyboard or the icon at the top of the page to change the sound levels. I have to go into the sound preferences to change the sound. every time. It's quite annoying.

The only way I know how to fix it is to delete the sound preferences file and the restart my mac.

It started happening after I plugged in a 2.1 logitech sound system just to test them out and see if they worked. as far as i know that is the earliest occurrence of this happening. no new software had been installed during at least the previous week while i had been using headphones or not during that time.

Sorry for the wall of text, figured i would need to be as detailed as possible for any one to possibly give me some help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Any software installed with the Logitech kit? Does it connect by USB or 3.5mm jack?

If you hold option and click the volume icon on the menu bar what options do you have for output?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.