• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I could use some help on this issue. I hope someone saw this before.
I have converted VHS to mpeg on my PC.

Then, converted these to .mov on my mac.

-Imported them easily in iMovie.
-Created a new project and a new event for around 15 clips.
- After playing around for a couple hours, no video is being played anymore, the viewer stays black and only sound is coming out.

When I want to start playing the video anywhere in the project, it starts back at the beginning showing the intro but when it gets to my .mov it stops and only play sound.

I have tried to reimported the videos in a new event and it doesn't seem to be working either.

Please help me

- Oh and after converting my 1 hours VHS to mpg, it's taking 21GB. We all know the quality of VHS... Any reason why it takes that much space and is it possible to compress it to a normal size without losing any quality? Could it be the problem also?

I just switched to Apple. I have converted with Honestech VHS to DVD software, around 15 VHS. A lot of them are an hour but taking 20GB space each.

I took the mpg from the PC, copied them to OSX, right-clicked on them and used, keep same quality. Then simply dragging them to the new event in iMovie 11.

I could try to reconvert them to a lower quality format?
I hope not to lose that much quality on the VHS, since they are memories and we wish to keep it the best.

C

chas_m

I don't know the answer to all of the issues, but here's what I can help you with:

The video going black etc is *probably* due to not having enough free hard drive space and/or RAM to handle the 21GB file you're trying to play back. You'll need far more than another 21GB available to make that run smoothly.

For future reference I would suggest saving your imported VHS tapes in DV or Apple Intermediate Codec, then editing them and only when that's done would you save them to a "lossy" format like MP4, MPEG-2 etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.