Reformat or not?

C

chunkymonkey

I have an 14" iBook which is a year old.

I want to format it because it has gathered lots of useless stuff on the HD plus it is gradually running slower and slower.

whats the best way for me to go about doing this? is there a disk i can use like a windows computer?

or on the otherhand is there a defragmenter on macs or something

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
use disk utility and then do a repair permissions that should be fine dont do a reinstall

OP
C

chunkymonkey

inflexion said:
use disk utility and then do a repair permissions that should be fine dont do a reinstall

ok thank you... does the disk utility come in the box?

will this make the OS return to what it was originally? so panther or will it keep the Tiger OS i have recently installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Go to:

Applicatilons>Utilities>Disk Utility>Repair Permissions

There is no need to reformat or reinstall, after all, this is NOT Windows. I know its not easy, but stop thinking like Windows. The hardest thing for most switchers to do is realize that simple idea. :black:
If you do a Permissions Repair you should be right as rain again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I will go for the reformat option... I have owned my iBook for almost a year. About 2 weeks ago i got angry with the world and decided to reformat my iBook (i was just bored to death,not because of any software/hardware problem). Results:
- My iBook works (a bit) faster (i really can't understand why)
- I recovered more than 5gb of space (customized install)
I know it wasn't necessary, it didn't have mutant icons like Windows or a slugish performace or issues with software/hardware, but the results suprissed me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
no seriously just repair permissions its alot easier

OP
R

radarbob

D3v1L80Y said:
There is no need to reformat or reinstall, after all, this is NOT Windows. I know its not easy, but stop thinking like Windows.
Spread the good word!!! Right on, dude.

"Think Different" - it's not just a slogan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.