Safari 6.0.5 does not always open pdf's

Reaction score
Safari 6.0.5 does not always open pdf's that are on web sites. Some it will, some it will not. Example, a restaurant's web site will have their dinner menu in pdf and Safari will not open it. I also have Google Chrome on my 10.8.4 Mac and it always opens everything. Do I have Security settings too high or some other Preference setting in Safari set incorrectly?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, your security and preferences in Safari are probably OK. Those sites which will not display a PDF correctly from Safari will probably display OK using the Adobe reader which you can download from here. (At the bottom of the page.)

I've run into that same problem numerous times with Safari when trying to download PDF files from certain government sites that only recognize Adobe Acrobat. Like you, I use Chrome and it works fine. Here's the reason why: LINK

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks. I downloaded the Adobe Reader. It's an extra step. You have to first open Reader then go to the web site and open the pdf. And a couple of the web sites pdf's still do not open. From your link about Chrome it explains that Chrome has it's own built in pdf viewer / reader. So it's much easier to just use Chrome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.