2009 MacBook White (MA255LL/A) Airport Not Working?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New poster here. I have been having a recurring issue with my MacBook MA255LL/A. I had 10.5.8 on it and my wireless connection would just randomly drop in and out. The ethernet (wired) port is working fine. I have since upgraded the RAM and upgraded it to Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
The issue has persisted throughout both updates.
I have tried going into the System Configuration folder and removing the internet config lists and deleting the whole folder, etc... to no avail.
I also tried resetting the PRAM to no avail.

I am at my wit's end concerning this thing... I consider myself tech-savvy (more PC than Mac though), and I just don't know what is causing this. I CAN connect to the internet wirelessly, but it is completely random. Sometimes it has great speed, but more often than not it either won't recognize my wireless internet (the router is in the same room, so it's not distance), or it has such a low signal it just won't do anything. :'(

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums!

I think the first thing you need to do is ascertain that your router is not the fault or that your MacBook's airport is working. Connecting to the router via ethernet does not prove its wireless radio is working properly or that your airport is OK. If possible, take your MacBook to a Starbucks, Public Library, or anyplace that offers free WiFi and see if it holds the connection. That should prove whether or not your MacBook airport is OK and that maybe your router is the culprit.

However, there could be other things causing the symptoms you're experiencing. Interference from another wireless network nearby, or from a 2.5 GHz cordless phone can cause dropouts. Post back to this same thread and let us know the results of your testing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If possible, take your MacBook to a Starbucks, Public Library, or anyplace that offers free WiFi and see if it holds the connection. That should prove whether or not your MacBook airport is OK and that maybe your router is the culprit.

Great suggestion! :)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums!

I think the first thing you need to do is ascertain that your router is not the fault or that your MacBook's airport is working. Connecting to the router via ethernet does not prove its wireless radio is working properly or that your airport is OK. If possible, take your MacBook to a Starbucks, Public Library, or anyplace that offers free WiFi and see if it holds the connection. That should prove whether or not your MacBook airport is OK and that maybe your router is the culprit.

However, there could be other things causing the symptoms you're experiencing. Interference from another wireless network nearby, or from a 2.5 GHz cordless phone can cause dropouts. Post back to this same thread and let us know the results of your testing.

Thanks! The issue appears anywhere the MacBook is taken. The router is definitely working fine with our other (10+) devices. We don't have any cordless phones in the house either.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back. Since your MacBook is an older model it's possible the Airport card has failed. If I'm remembering correctly, it can be replaced on that model machine you have, however, it requires a bit of work to do. I'm not even sure where you can get a replacement card but here are some places to try:

iFixit: The free repair manual

Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad

www.macparts.com

Also, the ifixit site (first link) has instructions for replacing the card. Have your model number on hand when you look up the procedure.

But before ordering a new card, make sure yours has failed. Open your System Profiler app and see if Airport is even listed. Also if you still have your Leopard DVD set, you can run the Apple Hardware Test from disk 2. That may tell you if the card has failed.

OP
E
Reaction score
OK, thanks for posting back. Since your MacBook is an older model it's possible the Airport card has failed. If I'm remembering correctly, it can be replaced on that model machine you have, however, it requires a bit of work to do. I'm not even sure where you can get a replacement card but here are some places to try:

iFixit: The free repair manual

Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad

Macparts Homepage , Macintosh parts,upgrades,repairs,used computers and systems (Design Services)

Also, the ifixit site (first link) has instructions for replacing the card. Have your model number on hand when you look up the procedure.

But before ordering a new card, make sure yours has failed. Open your System Profiler app and see if Airport is even listed. Also if you still have your Leopard DVD set, you can run the Apple Hardware Test from disk 2. That may tell you if the card has failed.

I don't have any of the original stuff, it's as gift from a friend whose brother had it. My experience with hardware is that usually if it's broken, then it's broken. I don't think I'd have any trouble replacing it, but I already put $50 into the Mac for 2GB ram and a new battery, so I'd prefer to avoid any extra expenses on it.

It's just so weird that it seems to work, and it connects, then it just disappears like the airport is off. Sometimes I get the triangle <!> alert thing saying no internet connection as well.

:Angry:

OP
E
Reaction score
No one on here has seen a similar issue? I know I can't be the only one...

My Airport is showing up on System Profiler - it says "Not Associated" under stats

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Airport is showing up on System Profiler - it says "Not Associated" under stats

I've never seen that before. It does sound like it may be defective. If your Airport was working correctly it should have shown about 10 or 15 lines of information.

OP
E
Reaction score
I've never seen that before. It does sound like it may be defective. If your Airport was working correctly it should have shown about 10 or 15 lines of information.

Oh it does, I mean under status it said "Not Associated".

An update:

It seems that at times it will connect just fine, and others it will say "connection timed out".

If anyone knows where to find an Airport Card for an MA255LL/A (2009 Core Duo, not Core 2), or has any other ideas, let me know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If anyone knows where to find an Airport Card for an MA255LL/A (2009 Core Duo, not Core 2), or has any other ideas, let me know.

e-Bay or Powerbookmedic.com

- Nick

p.s. By the way...all 2009 MacBooks are Core 2 Duo. If your MacBook is "Core Duo"...then it is not a 2009 model.

C

chas_m

Sounds to me like a short on the power to the Airport module, though without seeing it this is just a guess.

OP
E
Reaction score
Replacement Wireless Card for Macbook 2009 MA255LL/A

Hey all,

After repeated testing, I can only conclude that the WiFi card in my MacBook is dying. I've never seen a WiFi issue like it. (It will only connect randomly and seemingly under voodo-like conditions).

Does anyone know the model number of the airport card used in the MA255LL/A? Trying to find a replacement on eBay but I have no idea which one I need.

Thanks!

Edit: and if I can use more than one airport card in it, I'd be happy. The cheaper the better (it was a gift and I'm mainly a PC user).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thread moved - not an apple rumor or report..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Threads merged. Same topic & same member.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone know the model number of the airport card used in the MA255LL/A? Trying to find a replacement on eBay but I have no idea which one I need.

Did you go to Powerbookmedic.com as I suggested earlier? This is the sort of thing that they do!;)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Did you go to Powerbookmedic.com as I suggested earlier? This is the sort of thing that they do!;)

- Nick

I did but I couldn't find an Airport card for my model. The only luck I had was finding that the model is (I believe) an A1181. I guess I need to go off that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did but I couldn't find an Airport card for my model. The only luck I had was finding that the model is (I believe) an A1181. I guess I need to go off that.

I'm not sure what the trouble is. Powerbook Medic has a very straight forward drop-down menu "helper" on their home page to identify the computer of interest. All you need to know is the specs of your computer.

I did it for a computer very similar to yours...and the Airport card was the first thing that came up in the long list of parts available for it.

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
I believe PowerbookMedic.com has the Airport card you need for $4.95 (plus shipping).

- Nick

Yea I just found it... I just, I dunno I'm skeptical of buying the one listed for my MacBook as it seems to have issues. I would like to buy the 802.11n one also for range purposes. I guess I might try buying both to test em, but that will be a huge PITA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.