2009 MacBook White (MA255LL/A) Airport Not Working?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yea I just found it... I just, I dunno I'm skeptical of buying the one listed for my MacBook as it seems to have issues.

What the heck are you talking about "has issues". Are you talking about the Airport cards sold on Powerbookmedic.com?

I would like to buy the 802.11n one also for range purposes. I guess I might try buying both to test em, but that will be a huge PITA.

There are three Airport cards listed for your computer at Powerbookmedic.com...and two of them have "n" (the 3rd one without "n" you probably don't even want or is compatible).

Of the two Airport cards with "n" at Powerbookmedic.com...you need to verify how many wires your MacBook's airport card has (2 or 3)...then purchase the proper card.

I'm really not sure why there is so much confusion...this is really an easy process.;)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
What the heck are you talking about "has issues". Are you talking about the Airport cards sold on Powerbookmedic.com?

There are three Airport cards listed for your computer at Powerbookmedic.com...and two of them have "n" (the 3rd one without "n" you probably don't even want or is compatible).

Of the two Airport cards with "n" at Powerbookmedic.com...you need to verify how many wires your MacBook's airport card has (2 or 3)...then purchase the proper card.

I'm really not sure why there is so much confusion...this is really an easy process.;)

- Nick

I've read a lot of reports on the 'net about the 1st gen airport cards being spotty with reliability, specifically the lower end ones (which this MacBook uses). I figure an 802.11N card will be a bit higher quality of build.

Not sure how I can verify the wires part though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've read a lot of reports on the 'net about the 1st gen airport cards being spotty with reliability, specifically the lower end ones (which this MacBook uses). I figure an 802.11N card will be a bit higher quality of build.

To be honest...you never really properly identified what exact model MacBook you have.

You mentioned at different points in this thread that you had a 2009 MacBook...but then in one post you mentioned that it had a "Core Duo" not a "Core 2 Duo" cpu. And I responded that if you have a 2009 MacBook...then it must have a "core 2 duo" cpu...because that's what all 2009 MacBooks have.

And if it actually does have a "core duo" cpu...then it is NOT a 2009 MacBook. If it actually does have a "core duo" cpu...then it's a 2006 model. Which is a BIG BIG difference from a 2009 model.

You also just mentioned "1st gen. airport card". Well this would also probably verify that you have a 2006 MacBook...since that is a 1st gen. MacBook.

A 2009 MacBook is something like the 6th or 7th generation MacBook.

I sure hope we are not talking about a 2006 MacBook (versus a 2009 as was stated earlier)...because that makes a bit of a difference!

Not sure how I can verify the wires part though.

I do...you need to open the darn computer up...and look!;) The same thing you're going to have to do to install the new airport card if you get one.

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
To be honest...you never really properly identified what exact model MacBook you have.

You mentioned at different points in this thread that you had a 2009 MacBook...but then in one post you mentioned that it had a "Core Duo" not a "Core 2 Duo" cpu. And I responded that if you have a 2009 MacBook...then it must have a "core 2 duo" cpu...because that's what all 2009 MacBooks have.

And if it actually does have a "core duo" cpu...then it is NOT a 2009 MacBook. If it actually does have a "core duo" cpu...then it's a 2006 model. Which is a BIG BIG difference from a 2009 model.

You also just mentioned "1st gen. airport card". Well this would also probably verify that you have a 2006 MacBook...since that is a 1st gen. MacBook.

A 2009 MacBook is something like the 6th or 7th generation MacBook.

I sure hope we are not talking about a 2006 MacBook (versus a 2009 as was stated earlier)...because that makes a bit of a difference!

I do...you need to open the darn computer up...and look!;) The same thing you're going to have to do to install the new airport card if you get one.

- Nick

Yea I figured. In the "My MacBook" thing, it said 2009, but that's probably the OS. The model is an A1181 - apparently from 2006 from what I've found.

Edit: and yea it's not a Core 2, just a Core

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I figured. In the "My MacBook" thing, it said 2009, but that's probably the OS. The model is an A1181 - apparently from 2006 from what I've found.

Edit: and yea it's not a Core 2, just a Core

I'm not sure if it's still important at this point...but I'm still not 100% sure what model MacBook you have. Yes the "2009" reference could be something to do with the OS version.

But if it's a "core duo" model...it's probably from 2006. If you want to...go to the Apple drop down menu...select "About This Mac"...and post what info you see there.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.