• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Ripping & Burning - Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
Hello,

I am looking to rip DVDs (that I own of course) and then burn them for back up copies.

I did use the search feature but didn't find quite what I was looking for.

Could someone please explain the best programs to rip DVDs then burn them to blanks? I'm hoping for free programs to begin with.

Secondly, do I need DVD+R or DVD-R? What's the difference?

Thanks again - Jeremy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Mac the Ripper for ripping the DVDs to your harddrive.

This will leave you with two folders: Video_TS and Audio_TS, these can be burned with Disk Utility as a CD/DVD Master. However, most DVDs are more than 4.7GB (dual layer), and need to be "shrunk" or compressed. This is where you have to start paying $. (I've never seen a free one)

DVD2ONEX can shrink a DVD down to 4.7GB. This leaves you with two NEW folders, still named Video_TS and Audio_TS, which can then be burned with DiskUtility. DVD2ONEX is $30, however.

K

KLank

surfwax95 said:
DVD2ONEX can shrink a DVD down to 4.7GB. This leaves you with two NEW folders, still named Video_TS and Audio_TS, which can then be burned with DiskUtility. DVD2ONEX is $60, however.

You can also use Roxio Popcorn which is $50.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i feel that the small investment it took for me to run toast 7 and mactheripper was worth every penny, so dont be shy about spending a few pennies backing up all your important media.

also, i dont think you searched hard enough.
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For me MacTheRipper and Toast 7 are very nice together. That way MacTheRipper rips the DVD and then Toast does both the shrinking to fit on a normal 4.7GB DVD and Burning in one step. I agree with Coach z on that. Very good combo plus you have a great burning program also that will handle all your burning needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
I use a combo of MacTheRipper and Popcorn.

OP
Jeremy W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
coach_z said:
i feel that the small investment it took for me to run toast 7 and mactheripper was worth every penny, so dont be shy about spending a few pennies backing up all your important media.

also, i dont think you searched hard enough.
-chris

You're correct, I didn't search hard enough. I put a few different combos in and didn't find what I wanted. Then posted the question. Finally, I went back and searched "ripper" that was where I found the info.

Another question. Does my Mac have just a standard burning application built into it? Other than the burning iTunes and iDVD will do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jeremy W said:
You're correct, I didn't search hard enough. I put a few different combos in and didn't find what I wanted. Then posted the question. Finally, I went back and searched "ripper" that was where I found the info.

Another question. Does my Mac have just a standard burning application built into it? Other than the burning iTunes and iDVD will do?

You can use Disk Utility to burn images. But for Burning a DVD I think you might be able to use Burn Folders but I've never tried it.

M

Magic Wok

Handbrake is a great solution to backup

I'll have to echo the sentiments of Handbrake... I found it on my own, after a long time of searching. But it really is great and it is 100% free.

Why so great? Well it is able to backup virtualy any DVD regardless of region or any RCE encoding, and outputs to AVI in XVid or h.264 in various degree's of quality, from highly compressed to extreme quality, also including a good 2-pass feature to eliminate blockiness from high speed sequences. This also means that you can back up your DVD's to your iPod Video. Also, it's all-in-one, meaning you don't have to mess with various programs and saves you a lot of hastle

It also has some fantastic other features, such as being able to let handbrake automatically set the quality level to a desired file size. Splitting a movie into 2 halves, and cropping. It's constantly being developed and has a good active dev team. Although this program doesn't copy a dvd disc to disc, but what it does do is allow you to fit up to 5/6 copies of your movies onto one DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual Processor G5: 2x2 GHz, 30" Apple Cinema Display

I'm not concerned about free vs pay.

I just want something that is reliable.

I want to rip segments of DVDs of mine to view on my Palm TX (through TCPMP). I've tried Mac the Ripper, which crashed like crazy and when I finally got it to rip something, the file was corrupted, and couldn't be played past the first 15 seconds. I finally said **** that piece of cr*p. I guess I'll now try Handbrake, but I'm perfectly willing to purchase a good app, if that's what is needed to have a quality, reliable application. I just haven't found anything. Surely there is something out there on the market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chris said:

I want to rip segments of DVDs of mine to view on my Palm TX (through TCPMP). I've tried Mac the Ripper, which crashed like crazy and when I finally got it to rip something, the file was corrupted, and couldn't be played past the first 15 seconds. I finally said **** that piece of cr*p. I guess I'll now try Handbrake, but I'm perfectly willing to purchase a good app, if that's what is needed to have a quality, reliable application. I just haven't found anything. Surely there is something out there on the market.

DVD2OneX
Which does the same thing as MacTheRipper (Which has never crashed while I've used it) except also compresses the dvd. If your converting a movie for a palm pilot then use handbrake to convert the dvd to either mp4 or avi. By the way whats TCPMP?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never had a problem with MacTheRipper. Not once. Only time it did not do a successful Rip was on some badly scratched DVD's I was trying to save for friends. They were so bad, no drive in the house would read them without errors. MacTheRipper is a very stable program. I don't know what is going on with yours. I have used it on everything from a G4-500 to iMac G5 2.1Ghz iSight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual Processor G5: 2x2 GHz, 30" Apple Cinema Display

johninc

TCPMP is The Core Pocket Media Player for Palm. It beats the cr*p out of the media player that comes with Palm.

http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about

dtravis7

People here seem to be big defenders of MacTheRipper. The first time I installed it, it crashed on launch three times. I then dumped it, reinstalled it, and had the problems I mentioned above. On a Palm site I post to, a few people expressed stability problems with it, and recommended using Handbrake instead. I'm on a G5 Dual processor, though I doubt it's a hardware issue. Maybe I just had the rare bad experience. Glad it works for you.

Reaction score
ok.. mac the ripper does not do the same thing as dvd2onex.. dvd2onex does NOT decrypt the dvd. it compresses, pulls out the main movie.. and the new version also burns. but it will NOT decrypt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
chris said:

sounds like your copy of MTR was corrupt.
and BTW, for those of you posting here, dvd ripping is illegal, no matter how you put it, unless you made the dvd, like a home movie or imovie project. there is time shifting, but that is only legal while the dvd is on your hd, once you burn or move it, its illegal. secondly, time shifting won't work because even ripping a copy protected dvd is illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
E

EricPhilbin

Macman said:
sounds like your copy of MTR was corrupt.
and BTW, for those of you posting here, dvd ripping is illegal, no matter how you put it, unless you made the dvd, like a home movie or imovie project. there is time shifting, but that is only legal while the dvd is on your hd, once you burn or move it, its illegal. secondly, time shifting won't work because even ripping a copy protected dvd is illegal.

If I am not mistaken, I believe that a Supreme Court ruling in 1984 gives us the right to make copies of things we legally own as backups, but for no other purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
EricPhilbin said:
If I am not mistaken, I believe that a Supreme Court ruling in 1984 gives us the right to make copies of things we legally own as backups, but for no other purposes.
you are correct, BUT: you are NOT given any right to break or otherwise circumvent the copy protection on a retail dvd, so if you buy a dvd, the above mentioned ruling allows you to copy it as a backup, but wait, if you are breaking any copyrights or copy protection, you are in fact breaking the law, nullifying the ruling. so you see, just about anyway you look at it, its illegal, unless the dvd has no copy protection such as CSS or macro-vision on it;though most do. there are a few movie studios that don't use any kind of copy protection, mostly smaller companies, a very few larger ones also don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.