Getting message - 'The connected device had no output controls'

Reaction score
Just bought a Focusrite Saphire Pro 14. Connected via fire wire 400 to 800 converter lead then to Mac thunderbolt socket. Virtual VU meters on my Mac screen show signal bars, so the sound is getting into Mac. However I'm getting no sound from my Mac speakers & this message - 'The connected device had no input controls' when I select the Saphire in Mac sound input settings & 'The connected device had no output controls' when I select the Saphire in Mac sound output settings.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Hi there,

Sorry about your troubles!

Usually these messages mean that the device has no controls via the computer. If you select it as your output device, the sound icon at the top of your screen will gray out because the levels are controlled via the device itself.

I believe the device is actually functioning properly seeing as how your getting levels on the meters. The reason you're not getting sound out of your computer speakers is because you might have inadvertently selected the Saffire Pro as your output device meaning the computer is sending all of the audio to that (which you have no speakers connected to I'm assuming) rather that the internal speakers.

Let's run a few tests.

Select the focusrite as your input and output device in sound preferences (ignore any messages it gives you) and connect a pair of headphones to it. Now open up iTunes and try playing a song to see if you can hear anything. If you can hear the song then everything is functioning properly. If not, then you might want to download and install any updated driver software for the device via Focusrite's support webpage. You could also try restarting (unplug and replug) the Saffire Pro 14 and try again, or lastly make sure OSX is up to date and restart the computer after selecting the device as your I/O device of choice in sound prefs.

--------------

If you don't want to use the Focusrite as your output device and prefer to keep the sound on the computer's internal speakers / headphone port then go to sound prefs and select the Saffire as the input device but under the output tab, leave "internal speakers" selected.

Doing this setup will keep the sound coming out of the computer's speakers/headphone ports but you will be able to record via the Saffire Pro.

Lastly, just in case you did have everything set up properly for computer speaker output (and you weren't getting sound), I want you to check your recording software. Now, you said you were getting levels but no sound.
A lot of software (Pro Tools, Logic Pro, etc) require you arm the track for recording and/or turn on input monitoring or it will do exactly what you described, show levels but not output sound.

Garageband doesn't output mic sound at all until it's been recorded to a track and you're playing it back (it will show levels though).

I hope this helps!

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for your reply. I rang Focusrite support. They were very helpful indeed. They determined the problem was that I hadn't set sync source to S/PDIF. So have selected that & now OK.
One niggle though is the S/PDIF is on tracks 5 & 6 of the Focusrite mixer. It's not possible with Audacity to select record only 5&6. So I have to select 1-6. Then record & then delete tracks 1-4. So I might switch to Logic. Shame as I'm used to Audacity & like it. It suits my basic needs of recording guitar.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have a look at Amadeus Pro. I have been using it for quite a while and find the interface far less confusing than Audacity. Can't say whether it has the same issue since I'm not set up to record that way. It is not free but the demo would allow you to see if it meets your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Hi Thanks for your reply. I rang Focusrite support. They were very helpful indeed. They determined the problem was that I hadn't set sync source to S/PDIF. So have selected that & now OK.
One niggle though is the S/PDIF is on tracks 5 & 6 of the Focusrite mixer. It's not possible with Audacity to select record only 5&6. So I have to select 1-6. Then record & then delete tracks 1-4. So I might switch to Logic. Shame as I'm used to Audacity & like it. It suits my basic needs of recording guitar.

Well done. I'm glad you got it worked out!

I was about to say that if none of that worked, then it was probably an issue specific to your make and model interface and you should call Focusrite. You beat me to it!

I use Logic and absolutely love it. It can definitely do what you want with recording only from inputs 5 or 6 (or 5 and 6 simultaneously). I also use Audacity occasionally (and for very specific tasks) and let me tell you, once you learn the ropes of Logic, Audacity will seem like junk by comparison. Audacity is free though so you can't really complain...

Just be prepared for the learning curve of Logic. It's not an easy program to just jump into but it offers a robust set of tools for all kinds of audio production, including a number of things for guitar. Once you get on your feet with it, your imagination becomes the limit.

If you decide to go with Logic and have some questions getting started, post back here and I will do my best to help you get on your feet with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.