Hard Drive Died; Trouble installing new hard drive

Reaction score
Hello,

My hard drive suddenly died a few days ago. I was unable to boot using the OSx installation CD. As a result, I had to order a new drive.

I ordered an SSD and received it today. I've inserted the SSD into my macbook pro. However, I want to make sure that I understand all the necessary steps before proceeding.

I've installed the new SSD, now what? Prior to the HDD failure, I backed up most of my data to the cloud (I do it weekly). Also, I had Mountain Lion installed; however, I only have the Snow Leopard cd that came with the mac.
I've inserted that in but I'm not sure how to go about utilizing it.
I'm kindly requesting a walk-through of the process.
I have a mid-2009 macbook pro. Please, please, please assist!

p.s. please let me know if my question needs to be posted on a different forum.

Thanks,
Smock

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest you install Snow Leopard, boot from the disc, into Utilities and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) into Partition and select GUID under Options, back to Installer and run then update to OS X.6.8 and go into the App Store, hold down Option and click on Purchases. When Lion shows up select and proceed to a f.o.c. download. As a suggestion use LionDiskMaker to make a bootable USB thumb drive if this happens again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.