A few questions....

Reaction score
I will be getting a Macbook Pro very soon for college.
While certain majors at my college require Macbooks, my particular major does not require them at this time. But, I've decided I would like a Macbook anyways because I've heard so many good things about them.
Anyways, I started thinking about "Well what happens if we end up having to get certain programs that are for Windows, not Mac?".
But, then I remembered hearing about how you can still run Windows on a Mac.
So, I came to this section and started reading on it a little bit, mostly on this thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/running-windows-anything-else-your-mac/114239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html . But I still have several questions...
1) Do you actually have to still buy Windows to run Windows programs on a Mac?
2) How much do these sorts of apps/programs cost, such as BootCamp?
3) Are they easy to use?
4) Do the "visualization" products actually run Windows programs too, or is it merely just to look like Windows but not actually run Windows programs?

I had a few more questions but just forgot them.

But yeah, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Macs, so please excuse me if these are dumb questions. I just want to make sure that if I am required to run Windows programs, I still can do that on a Mac. Otherwise, it'd probably just make more sense for me to get an actual Windows laptop.
I don't really think I have much of an interest in using Windows too often, unless I need to in order to access certain programs that I may need for college.
Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But I still have several questions...
1) Do you actually have to still buy Windows to run Windows programs on a Mac?
2) How much do these sorts of apps/programs cost, such as BootCamp?
3) Are they easy to use?
4) Do the "visualization" products actually run Windows programs too, or is it merely just to look like Windows but not actually run Windows programs?

I had a few more questions but just forgot them.

1) Yes.
2) Bootcamp is free. Parallels & vmWare Fusion usually around $75-$80...but many times there are special deals.
3) Yes. Bootcamp will give you the best performance...but you have to reboot into Windows when installed via Bootcamp. With Parallels or vmWare Fusion...you can run the Mac OS & Windows simultaneously...but Windows is a bit slower than the bootcamp route.
4) Yes...they run Windows programs.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For more information on running Windows on your MBP see this Support Page. Also on a new machine only Windows 7 or 8 will install.

Apple - Support - Boot Camp

OP
C
Reaction score
1) Yes.
2) Bootcamp is free. Parallels & vmWare Fusion usually around $75-$80...but many times there are special deals.
3) Yes. Bootcamp will give you the best performance...but you have to reboot into Windows when installed via Bootcamp. With Parallels or vmWare Fusion...you can run the Mac OS & Windows simultaneously...but Windows is a bit slower than the bootcamp route.
4) Yes...they run Windows programs.

HTH,

- Nick

1) Hmm... Even for the "visualization" ones?
Don't really know if I'd want to have to buy Windows for it too...
I guess I better try to call my college tomorrow and see what they really recommend, and if all software needed will also be available for Mac, or if there will be some for windows.
But, then again, the computer labs at school do have Windows computers in them, so I could always just go to a computer lab if I really needed to maybe?
3) So is it a pain to constantly have to reboot for Boot Camp? Like I said, I don't plan on using Windows often unless I really have to, but, just want to make sure it's not going to be a huge nuisance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1) Hmm... Even for the "visualization" ones?
Don't really know if I'd want to have to buy Windows for it too...
I guess I better try to call my college tomorrow and see what they really recommend, and if all software needed will also be available for Mac, or if there will be some for windows.
But, then again, the computer labs at school do have Windows computers in them, so I could always just go to a computer lab if I really needed to maybe?
3) So is it a pain to constantly have to reboot for Boot Camp? Like I said, I don't plan on using Windows often unless I really have to, but, just want to make sure it's not going to be a huge nuisance.

1) Yes. Regardless of the way you run Windows on a Macintosh...you still need to have a valid install of Windows.

2) No #2.;)

3) I'm guessing you know what's involved in rebooting a computer. If you consider this a "huge nuisance"...then I guess it's a nuisance!;) If not...then it's not a nuisance!:)

If you install Windows via virtualization...you take a bit of a performance hit (I'm really not sure how much percent-wise). But you avoid the rebooting step.

Keep in mind with the "bootcamp" method...you can ONLY run Windows or the Mac OS (at one time)...not simultaneously (that's why you have to reboot). With the virtualization software...you can run both OS's side by side (you boot with the Mac OS & run Windows via virtualization).

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What are you going to major in? Asking your department what they recommend is a good idea but take the recommendation with a grain of salt. I find that many people, unless they are regular Mac users, are not fully aware of the Mac software that's available.

OP
C
Reaction score
What are you going to major in? Asking your department what they recommend is a good idea but take the recommendation with a grain of salt. I find that many people, unless they are regular Mac users, are not fully aware of the Mac software that's available.

Biology is the plan.
My campus is pretty Mac-oriented, so I would assume they would have options available for Mac as well, but just trying to make sure I cover all my bases before I jump in and buy a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.