External hard drives and MacBooks

Reaction score
Hello
Recently my MacBook Pro hasn't been able to read my seagate backup plus hard drive and it doesn't show up on disk utility,can anyone help?,I have a lot of data stored on that hard drive

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there a chance that this HD is no good? Please don't say "It worked the last time I tried it.";) Because this is the way many things go bad...one day they work...the next time/day they don't.

I would suggest trying it on a 2nd computer first.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
I tried on a second computer,a toshiba laptop and it worked,it just isn't working on my MacBook

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried on a second computer,a toshiba laptop and it worked,it just isn't working on my MacBook

Ok...that's good news!:)

The 2nd thing to ask...are there any issues with the USB ports on this MacBook? Did you try the external HD with both of the MacBooks USB ports?

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks,I think the hard has a problem,I tried it now and it worked,but when I ejected it and tried it again it didn't worjk

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,I think the hard has a problem,I tried it now and it worked,but when I ejected it and tried it again it didn't worjk

Maybe the HD is in a "gray-area" where sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn't. The next step is to keep trying till you get it to work again...THEN copy those important files/data to another HD BEFORE the HD fails completely.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.