bogus cloud storage popup

Reaction score
Can anyone have experience with this bogus cloud-storage popup? I have attached a PDF of a screen grab.

The text reads

You are currently over your 134.2 GB limit. Upgrade
your account to increase your storage space.
Important: Any files that exceed your limit will be
removed from our servers.

It is followed by buttons labeled Dismiss and Upgrade Today

I've now encountered it on two Macs running Mountain Lion. How can it be eliminated?

View attachment Bogus popup.pdf

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What site are you on that has this popup?

If it were me, and because I would be on my Mac, so relatively safe and keep multiple backups, I'd click it just to see where it took me.

Of course, I probably wouldn't get it since I have the pop-up blocker turned on - link.
Or just don't visit that site any longer.

OP
M
Reaction score
bogus storage message

That's the thing -- I'm not on a site, not even necessarily using a web browser, when the alert box pops up. Notice also that there is no identifier -- it doesn't say 'a message from Mozy' or any other cloud storage service.

I generally use Firefox, sometime Chrome, rarely Safari, and the pop up blockers are turned on.

Clicking Dismiss gets rid of the box. Clicking on Upgrade Today has no visible effect. My concern is that this is malware. I want it to quit happening.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If it's coming up even while no browser is running, then you should be checking whatever sites you are using that have server storage including iCloud and whatever email service you're using. With 134.2GB limit - sounds like gmail, yahoo or something like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.