Os x 10.8.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
guys,my mac already has OS X ML installed on it so when i went to buy it from the app store,it said OS X ML already installed on your mac. will i pay for it,or it's free for me?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
guys,my mac already has OS X ML installed on it so when i went to buy it from the app store,it said OS X ML already installed on your mac. will i pay for it,or it's free for me?

If you already have Mountain Lion installed on your computer...then 10.8.4 is a free update. Just go to the Apple drop down menu & select "Software Update".

- Nick

OP
Yodda_Hunter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
yeah the software is already pre-installed,but when i went to the store i found it not purchased so i tried to download it again by pressing buy button and it's downloading now. will apple take money for it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah the software is already pre-installed,but when i went to the store i found it not purchased so i tried to download it again by pressing buy button and it's downloading now. will apple take money for it?

What is the real question here? Your computer already has Mountain Lion installed on it...and if you want OS 10.8.4...then it's a free update via "Software Update" under the Apple drop down menu.

"Software Update" is not the Mac App Store...so if you just need/want to update to 10.8.4...you don't need to be using the Mac App Store.

- Nick

OP
Yodda_Hunter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
don't drive me crazy please :D i said if i downloaded it from the store will i pay?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think you may be confusing "upgrade" with "update".

If you had been moving from Lion (10.7.x) to Mountain Lion (10.8.x) that would be an "upgrade" for which you would need to pay.

In your case, Mountain Lion was pre-installed (therefore already paid for) and what I believe you are doing is "updating" from an earlier version (say, 10.8.3) to the latest which is 10.8.4. There is no charge for this or any subsequent "updates' (say to 10.8.5).

But when Maverick becomes available (10.9.0), then that is an "upgrade" to a new OS and you would have to pay for that.

Hope this explains things for you.

Ian

OP
Yodda_Hunter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
guys,i'll explain again. i have pre-installed "OS X ML 10.8.4 ". when i go to the App store i can find that the OS it self ain't purchased(OS X hadn't been purchased form the store). so i tried to buy it from store(Already have it pre-installed) so will apple take money?(after buying it appeared in the Purchases list.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
don't drive me crazy please :D i said if i downloaded it from the store will i pay?

I'm not trying to "drive you crazy". I'm trying to inform you how things work. If you know how things work...then there will be less confusion in the future.:)

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime!";)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
guys,i'll explain again. i have pre-installed "OS X ML 10.8.4 ". when i go to the App store i can find that the OS it self ain't purchased(OS X hadn't been purchased form the store). so i tried to buy it from store(Already have it pre-installed) so will apple take money?(after buying it appeared in the Purchases list.

Firstly...you didn't explain this fully already...so you are not "explaining it again". You never told us in your original post that OS 10.8.4 was the OS version that is installed. All you said was...that you had Mountain Lion installed (you didn't say which version).

The more important question is...If you already have OS 10.8.4 installed on your computer...WHY are you trying to download it??

Your computer already has OS 10.8.4 installed on its "main" partition...and OS 10.8 is the OS version that's installed on your computers recovery partition.

- Nick

OP
Yodda_Hunter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
CUZ if i wanted to restore it,i should have an exist copy of OS X

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yodda_Hunter

You are not mad or crazy; possibly confused.

Your Mac has ML (10.8.4) pre-installed, therefore paid for.

Two ways of doing things—

One. Click on the Apple icon, top left Menu bar and select "Software Update". It will check your system and, almost certainly, tell you that your software is up to date.

Two. Click on App Store and from the top men select "Updates". This will do the same thing, namely, check your system, and report no further updates available

Either way, move on and enjoy your Mac.

My guess is that you are looking for a purchase receipt for ML which will not be there as it came pre-installed and therefore pre-purchased.

You have no need to buy ML again. It's there, it's working, it's for you to enjoy.

Ian

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
CUZ if i wanted to restore it,i should have an exist copy of OS X
You don't need to download it from the store to reinstall OS X (should you ever need to do that). Simply boot into the recovery partition and use that (more info here).

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah...If you need to restore, there is already a partition on your hard drive which allows this. Should you need to; you reboot holding down the option key (marked alt) and the select "recovery" from the options offered. From here you could use Disk Utility to repair the HD and other possibilities are available. At worse, you could restore ML. An even worse scenario, you could reboot holding down the "R" key which gives you the option of reinstalling ML from the internet.

No charge for any of these things.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if the machine came with Mountain Lion pre-installed yes you will be paying for this download from the App Store. Will be treated as a normal purchased download.

OP
Yodda_Hunter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
And if the machine came with Mountain Lion pre-installed yes you will be paying for this download from the App Store. Will be treated as a normal purchased download.

that's what i was asking for,thank you

C

chas_m

It's very hard to decipher what you mean (if English isn't your native language, I understand how there can be confusing phrases), but I think what the problem is that:

1. You have Mountain Lion, but some earlier version than 10.8.4 (like 10.8.0, 10.8.1, etc)

2. You wanted to update it to the latest version, 10.8.4 (this would be a free update)

3. You (understandably) went to the Mac App Store and tried to download it from there, because of course the one that is there is now 10.8.4. Perfectly understandable but incorrect.

4. To update an existing version of OS X, you use the "updates" section of the store (see picture below), not the actual "OS X Mountain Lion" page. There is one exception to this: if you are trying to tell us that your machine came with a pirated version or someone else's version of Mountain Lion, then yes you will need to buy your own copy of Mountain Lion and install it, and THEN you will get the free updates such as 10.8.4 and the future 10.8.5 and so on.

If you already knew all this and I misinterpreted your question, my apologies.

Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 12.29.43 AM.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only time you would need to purchase ML from the App Store is if say your whole hard drive was totally unreadable and thus the Restore Partition no longer worked. Even then it's $20. Do what Chas said and open Updates and let it update you to 10.8.4. If you are worried about loosing your OS and files, Back up to an external drive via Time Machine and keep it updated or you can also run Carbon Copy Cloner and make a bootable back up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.