Creating .iso images from DVDs

Reaction score
Using the disk utility, I have to stand on my head to eject the disc, it is not easy.
I want a utility that works in Mountain Lion, will read the DVD and create an .iso image on an attached Thunderbolt drive.
No compression, nothing fancy...just create a master that I can later burn to a disc if needed. Once it completes reading the disc, automatically eject it...

This is not a fast process so I don't always notice when the disc is complete and I have one heck of a time getting the disc to eject. I am not an inherent Mac user and the new MacBook Pro does not have an eject button like my older one with the built in drive had. I am using the Apple SuperDrive to read the DVD...

Suggestions?

Or a quick way to eject the disc?

Thanks!
:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming you have a newer model MacBook Pro (retina) that does not have an optical drive. In order to eject the disk from the Apple Superdrive, right click on the disk and select eject. Or just drag the disk to the Trash.

If you don't like using Disk Utility to create an iso, you can download the free "Burn" application from here.

OP
T
Reaction score
Disk eject

Yes, one should be able to to click and eject but it wouldn't.

Let me try this "Burn" utility....

Thanks!
:)

It appears "Burn" is for doing an actual copy, I have a duplicator that can do that, I am just saving the discs as iso images on a cloud server in the event I ever need to burn a physical disc.

C

chas_m

Quick way to eject the disc: drag it towards the trash, the trash becomes and eject symbol.

Alternatively: right-click on the disc, select "eject."

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought that's what was posted in the first reply? The OP says it isn't working for him.

C

chas_m

Yes, sorry. He will need to explain what he means by "isn't working" for him.

I'm not aware of any utility that will automate the process of making an ISO from a DVD. It can be done (as the OP already knows) in Disk Utility, Toast can also do this, but you start the process manually and save the resulting file to the drive you want.

OP
T
Reaction score
Having to quit Disk Utility, then restart it so it would remount the DVD so I could eject it is very poor form IMHO. Finder would report the external player was no longer there.

This is on a month old MacBook Pro with latest updates to Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
I never found a satisfactory way of ripping a DVD to ISO on my MBP, so I do that on Windows (using DVD Shrink) and then copy the resulting ISO file onto the Mac/external HD. Down here in Belize optical disks don't last long (the atmosphere's very salty) and this is the only safe way to keep DVDs - I put the originals into a sealed airtight container.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.