Mail Outbox

Reaction score
I have mail Version 4.6 (1085). I seem to remember that there was an outbox. If I changed my mind after clicking send, I could stop it in the outbox. But now when I send a message I have no choice but to wait until it sends and shows up in the Sent box.
Do I remember correctly? Does mail have an outbox and if so, how can I get it back?
Thanks

C

chas_m

You do not remember correctly. Mail has never had the ability to cancel a send after you have pressed "Send," or perhaps more accurately it sends things too quickly to be stopped.

If you were sending something really large (let's say a 10MB attachment) and realised you wanted to abort the send, you might have time by pressing command-0 (zero) get to the activity monitor and stop the process there ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may be remembering your Windows days? Outlook Express (OE) had an Outbox and you could in fact stop mail from being sent by canceling it there. However, OE has been abandoned by MS long ago.

OP
M
Reaction score
Not Hallucinating ....

Thanks for your reply's but a very odd thing just happened.

I sent a message, and right there in the Mailboxes column was an Outbox ! I was not hallucinating. I clicked on the Outbox and it showed me the mail being sent. I could have cancelled it. I tried again and the same.

I then closed the e mail program. I reopened it and No Outbox !

What is going on?

Any ideas?

Thanks

C

chas_m

Unless you are confused and using a web browser rather than Mail (which really doesn't seem likely), I'd say you might be seeing the function of an Exchange account at work. Is this email address connected to an Exchange server?

OP
M
Reaction score
I looked up Exchange Server and if I understand correctly it is something businesses would use? My computer is at home and the internet / mail connection is through the phone company.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My computer is at home and the internet / mail connection is through the phone company.

Are you currently accessing your mail direct from your ISP web site as chas asked, or are you accessing it from Mac Mail on your machine? The reason I ask is that I can go directly to my GMail account on the web and it indeed shows an Outbox. However, as chas has indicated, that was never an option in Mac Mail.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm downloading my messages directly to Macmail from my provider and then look at the message from macmail. I did look at the provider website and they do not have an outbox.

I looked to see if gmail has an outbox - it does not. BUT - I found a message sent in gmail that I NEVER SENT in gmail. I did send it via my mac mail. How did it get in gmail?

This computer has been acting screwy lately, anyway. I don't use gmail anyway so I think I'll just get rid of it

Thanks for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.