A few q's before switching

Reaction score
Hello.
I'm tired of Windows. I want something new, fresh and reliable.
So i have compiled a list of questions I would like to know the answer to, hoping it will help me decide.

1. Is the Mac OSX slowing down over time like windows is?
2. Is mac osX always fast and reacts quickly?
3. Is adding an uninstaling devices and programs a hassle?

4. Can I easily sync my mobil phone, Palm Zire 72 and calender/addressbook/mail programs with them?
5. Is there a preview function in Finder so that I can preview *any* ducument in the window?

Think that is it for now.
Hope anybody has the time to answer them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
1. No
2. Yes (depending on the machine)
3. It's not a hassle at all. It's as easy as trashing the application and it's preference file (usually looks like: com.apple.iphoto.plist)
4. Yes, with Apple's Sync Utilitly.
5. No, Finder can't yet preview audio files. Pictures and movies however it can handle, but not without first rightclicking and clicking "get info".

Finder is the worst part of OSX at this point, but hopefully Leopard's "Chardonnay" will fill in all of Finder's holes.

T

topshot

Actually, finder can preview. You just need to set your view to columns so that when you single click the file the preivew comes up in the next column for the image, music file or video. Finder also creates thumbnails of pictures if you set the view to icons.

Reaction score
topshot said:
Actually, finder can preview. You just need to set your view to columns so that when you single click the file the preivew comes up in the next column for the image, music file or video. Finder also creates thumbnails of pictures if you set the view to icons.
Or if you press cmd-i or get info, you can preview audio video and even text!

Reaction score
I don't think all mobile phones are supported by iSync (or some have limited fuctionality). Check here for a list of the phones supported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Topshot, thanks for that, I've been using OSX since it came out, and I've never known that you can preview audio in Finder. I don't use the column view that much, but I think I will now! :mac:

OP
D
Reaction score
hmmm.
This scary. I have a weird feeling.
Like when somebody gives you an offer and it's almost to good to be true.
It it turns out you where right.......
Is the Mac that good? Looks like I'll have to switch :miner:
Are there an instant-on feature?
Like the hibernate feature in windows.
And are there any jump-to-file options (like in winamp) for iTunes or some other mp3 program?

PS: thanks for great replies, btw is the global hotkey system working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
1) There's the sleep mode (actually works, not like windows' sleep) and is instant.
2) Most apps support command+L to instantly 'locate' a file in the finder (shows the file in the file browser)
3) Yes, you can easily set up global commands with certain tools such as Quicksilver...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11
In response to your very first question, I felt that I just had to put in my 2 cents and point out that my iMac is running just as fast as the day I got it (which is now almost a year ago). And I've never reinstalled the OS. :ninja:

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks you guys!
And with a community like this I never have to be afraid of never knowing what the answer is :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Hmmm, have borrowed a Mac, but can´t get the preview to work.
I´m in collums view a get as collum pr object, but the last one only show the info for the file. I want it to show what´s inside the file, like a thumbnail for pictures and a text view for docs.

I

init6

I´m in collums view a get as collum pr object,

Sorry, you lost me on that one. ;)

Finder won't preview all image types, and I think a lot of it has to do with which app you have set to open that format by default. I've noticed that some formats that I have Photoshop or ImageReady set as the default app don't always preview. Other times you just have to wait a bit (I have an iBook G4, maybe it's just me, hehehe) for the preview to show up.

But if you're actually in column view it does work. I use column view almost exclusively for the very reason you asked about - preview. Audio, video, pics, everything. It does work, you just need to play around with it a bit.

Maybe someone else can explain it better than I can. :headphone

OP
D
Reaction score
Back with a follow up question.
Hope you have good answers for this one as well :D

I'm forced to use my Windows PC at times. Is there an easy way to keep the contacts and files sync'ed on both of them?
That means that I want my mail and contacts to be available on both of them. Is this possible?

L

lunatec

from my experience, tiger is actually faster than panther...the only time the os seems to slow down is when the hardware is getting to the very end of it's lifecycle...and for Mac's, that's it approx 3-5 years, as opposed to 18-36 months for PC's...basically, your mac should, in theory, last twice as long as your pc.

Depends on your hardware, but, in general, yes.

This is a resounding no...the Mac GUI is one of the easiest and intuitive Gui's around. In fact, what you are going to have difficulty with is not over-complicating the process. You will have to unlearn a lot...the Mac OS follows the K.I.S.S. philosophy...keep it simple, silly
]

L

lunatec

Are there an instant-on feature?

I have never believed that hibernation, sleep-mode, or even powersaving was a good idea...it generally causes more problems than it solves...i lost an entire network of computers when lightning hit my house. There wasn't any warning that lightning was even a possibility.

Like the hibernate feature in windows.

Hibernate = Comatose...sometimes permenantly.

And are there any jump-to-file options (like in winamp) for iTunes or some other mp3 program?

yes

L

lil

1. No. Even the Digital Audio G4 466 Mac I picked up worked pretty darn well with Tiger. RAM and plenty of it is the key to smooth Mac operation.

2. Yes, it's more responsive that Windows and in my experience doesn't seem to sit leaving you guessing what is happening.

3. Much easier and manageable than under Windows.

As for showing picture thumbnails for icons -- go to View -> Show View Options in Finder and click 'Show Icon Preview'. Tada... :flower: Of course a preview of a text file or movie thumbnail for icons won't work; but at least folders of pictures will have useful icons with icon preview on.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
drde said:
Hello.
I'm tired of Windows. I want something new, fresh and reliable.
So i have compiled a list of questions I would like to know the answer to, hoping it will help me decide.

4. Can I easily sync my mobil phone, Palm Zire 72 and calender/addressbook/mail programs with them?
5. Is there a preview function in Finder so that I can preview *any* ducument in the window?

Think that is it for now.
Hope anybody has the time to answer them

1. No. OS X is SUPER dependable.
2. Yes, I love it better than any Windows machine I've used. It takes about 20 seconds to boot.
3. No. Just drag and drop.
4. Yes, I believe with .Mac there's iSync.
5. Answered before. Not 100% sure about the answer myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.