2011 MBP fan running LOTS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Hi,

I have a 2011 MBP i7 16 GB of ram and an SSD (I put it in about 6 months ago)
About a month ago the Mac's fan has been running high speed. I use LightRoom 5 and Photoshop CC a lot. Anytime I work in these programs the fan is going. Today I was streaming Netflix and the fan was running the whole time I was watching the movie

Before writing this I was in Lightroom. When I switch to Chrome it took the Mac about 5 minutes to cool enough to stop the fan.

I reinstalled the OS in early Jan when I put in the SSD. Up until the fan issue things have been running well!

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Monty

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
About a month ago the Mac's fan has been running high speed. I use LightRoom 5 and Photoshop CC a lot. Anytime I work in these programs the fan is going. Today I was streaming Netflix and the fan was running the whole time I was watching the movie

Any suggestions?

These are all high demand activities...so things heat up...and fan rpm's increase. If it's Summer where you are...ambient temps are higher. And higher ambient temps mean higher laptop temps.

A second idea...your computer may be getting dirty inside. Maybe need to open it up & check for dirt/fuzz buildup.

Thirdly...the fans may not have been running at high rpm's previously (opposite answer to suggestion #1)...because ambient temps where you are may have been lower 1-2 months ago.

Fourth...Could be a combination of both higher ambient temps and dirty computer.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These are all high demand activities...so things heat up...and fan rpm's increase. If it's Summer where you are...ambient temps are higher. And higher ambient temps mean higher laptop temps.

A second idea...your computer may be getting dirty inside. Maybe need to open it up & check for dirt/fuzz buildup.

Thirdly...the fans may not have been running at high rpm's previously (opposite answer to suggestion #1)...because ambient temps where you are may have been lower 1-2 months ago.

Fourth...Could be a combination of both higher ambient temps and dirty computer.

HTH,

- Nick

Thanks, I'll open it up tomorrow and have a look!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I'll open it up tomorrow and have a look!

Good deal.:) Hopefully there is some crude inside...since that will easily explain the higher temps & higher fan rpms. But if not...it could be higher ambient temps.

- Nick

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll say one think, Lightroom 5 is a PIG
1.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll say one think, Lightroom 5 is a PIG

Yikes...%cpu of 337 is pretty "piggy"!;) You must have a quad core cpu on your computer.

This is definitely the sort of cpu usage that will get the computer hotter & the fans faster/louder.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Netflix relies on Silverlight ... Microsoft's version of Flash ... so that also is very processor intensive and would make the fans run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.