"Document" file without an extension / file type?

Reaction score
I was looking in a cache for a program and saw that there were a lot of file types listed only as "Document" with no file extension.

Here is an example:

0A7D50974BFF28DC45DC276581A6C030

Now, when I press the spacebar for a preview an image comes up...so, this is an actual file...however, not having a file type (even when I do Cmd+I) there is no way to search for these "Documents".

Can anybody tell me why this is, what file types these are and how to search for them since the names are randomized and I can't search by file type?

Thanks,

J.

P.S. Yes...I have gone to Finder > Preferences > Show All Extensions....and still these "Documents" don't have a file type associated with them.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Where are you finding these files? Generally you find these kinds of files in temp or cache folders of browsers..since the browsers have to download content from websites, a lot of them cache the data and only update changed things..but since these files aren't really meaningful to you, they get randomly generated names..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which program's cache files were you examining? If it was a web browser then it could have been almost any web page element.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.