Changes made in Safe Boot (automatic graphics switching)

Reaction score
I am trying to disable Automatic graphics switching pre-boot. That way I would not have to make the change within Mac OS, I currently have a hardware issue that im working around. My main question is can I make change sin safe boot and have them apply to normal boot or is there a way to literally make the normal boot almost identical to safe boot, specifically preference settings and startup items?

Thanks for any help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Download and install the free "gfxCardStatus" utility which will allow you to lock the graphics to either give you more power or better battery life. Download LINK

OP
U
Reaction score
Ok I think what I need to do is change values with pmset in Terminal. Specifically related to gpuswitch, I want it to only use NVidia GPU instead of Intel and I do not want to have to change this within the OS or have a program do it for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, you can give what you want to do a try, but the program I suggested to you makes the change on a low level hardware basis. In other words, it accomplishes the same thing. Anyway, since it's free, what have you got to lose by trying it?

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks yeah I posted real quick before I saw your last post and I should have mentioned in my original post that I had already downloaded gfxCardStatus. My MBP shutsdown instantly when I attempt to use either discrete or intel via the program. In safe boot it runs as discrete and everything works fine, all of my programs that would cause the system to crash operate as they should. It seems that once that "switch" happens is where my issue is. The permanent solution is a logic board replacement or fix (which would involve reballing GPU and possibly reflowing other components at the least) but I would like to work around that for now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The permanent solution is a logic board replacement or fix (which would involve reballing GPU and possibly reflowing other components at the least) but I would like to work around that for now.

Yeah, that's going to be an expensive fix. You can give the reflow a try but others who have been successful at a reflow said that it wound up being a temporary fix. I would try to find a logic board either on eBay or maybe from someone who has a broken machine that they would let go very cheap. Of course it should have a good working logic board.

OP
U
Reaction score
I have tried to set it in safe mode with the gfxCardStatus and have it boot on startup. Gfx boots on startup but it doesnt use the settings I had in safeboot, discrete only. It always switches back to dynamic switching and starts with the Intel graphics. Any other ideas? Also im not too familiar with terminal commands would you happen to know what the values mean.

For example when I do pmset -g disk I get a value of 1 for gpuswitch on battery and 0 for ac adapter.
How would I change those values myself and what do they all mean?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I'm not very good at terminal commands but we have a few folks who are expert at it. Hopefully they'll see this thread and respond. But since today is Saturday most folks are up and about doing things. As a matter of fact, my wife is already giving me the two minute warning about taking her shopping. ;)

OP
U
Reaction score
Yeah, that's going to be an expensive fix. You can give the reflow a try but others who have been successful at a reflow said that it wound up being a temporary fix. I would try to find a logic board either on eBay or maybe from someone who has a broken machine that they would let go very cheap. Of course it should have a good working logic board.

Yeah I repair a lot of motherboards, PC, Mac, Game consoles, etc. and I have my own SMD rework station but I would prefer to use just the nvidia drivers anyway and have the performance increase I dont care about battery life or energy saving in this scenario. Mine is just over 3 years so Apple wont replace it for free like they have with similar models, I may be able to complain enough to get them too but Im not that kinda guy and it wastes too much energy ill just rework it myself if I have to i the end and take it from there.

OP
U
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not very good at terminal commands but we have a few folks who are expert at it. Hopefully they'll see this thread and respond. But since today is Saturday most folks are up and about doing things. As a matter of fact, my wife is already giving me the two minute warning about taking her shopping. ;)

Haha sorry to hear that! Have fun.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As a matter of fact, my wife is already giving me the two minute warning about taking her shopping. ;)

Since you have been given the two minute warning invoke normal NFL procedures With a few false starts (almost getting out the door, etc) and incompletions (oops forgot something) and similar tactics you could probably delay things till sometime tomorrow. Or at least till the stores close.

Of course if you follow this advice you might be sleeping on the couch for a long time.

OP
U
Reaction score
Besides gfx anyone know of a script I could set to run on startup to disable the Automatic Graphics Switching function of energy saver? Or is there another way to disable this preboot? As long as I can get it disabled somehow before the OS loads ill be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.