Going from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I refused to update my OS X even though I got a 2011 aluminum MacBook and stuck with Snow Leopard. However, now I want to use iCloud to so I have to upgrade. Will the $20 download of Mountain Lion retain all of my settings if I install it? Anything to look out for? I have Time Machine backups.

Settings include desktop, preferences, the "look" of your OS X, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No problems at all.

To have Snow Leopard it must be the early 2011 model. It will update fine BUT be aware any older software such as Office 2004 etc which are PowerPC will not run as no more Rosetta. Just download from the App Store, make a USB bootable thumb drive using LionDiskMaker before running the installer, install without formatting the drive.

U

unbiasedmacuser

No problems at all.

be aware any older software such as Office 2004 etc which are PowerPC will not run as no more Rosetta.

I thought that leopard was the last powerpc supported version of OSX? You should be fine, you will most likely have to reverse the scrolling in system preferences though (Unless you decide you like it) but that's easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The default Snow Leopard install doesn't support PPC applications, but will if Rosetta is selected during a customised install or if additional installs is later selected and run from the install DVD.

I run a variety of OS X versions on different Macs, and am quite happy with Mountain Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.