iMac hard drive replacement options

Reaction score
A friend needs a hard drive replaced, and I'm having trouble finding the correct drive and could use a little help.

It's a 2010 21.5" iMac, RFB IMAC 21.5/3.06/2X2G/1T/4670-256M-USA

The iFixit video says it may require an Apple-specific drive because the original has built-in temperature sensors. I can't find an Apple-specific drive for sale, except for a few used ones on ebay.

Can anyone provide some clarification/help here?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes...those hard drives are pain in the butt to replace.

In case you didn't know...Apple has a special hard drive replacement program for 2009-2011 iMac's (including the iMac you're working on) due to some sort of failure issue:

Apple - Support - iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program

It's good for 3 years after the purchase of the computer. Even if this computer fell slightly outside those 3 years...they may still replace it for free.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I did find that, as a matter of fact. Thanks, though :)

She's out of her coverage on that. Even if she's not, depending on how long the Apple store will take to do the job, it may be preferable for me to do it anyway and take the opportunity to upgrade her hard drive while we're at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Unless your are an IT expert take it to the Apple store. Apple may still do nit under the free replacement program, and one must use proprietary heat sensor controls and cables. One slight error and it will be like a Jumbo 747 with fans ramped up to full speed. There is no such thing as an Apple specific drive. All major brands such as Seagate, WD, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Hitachi etc. etc. work after being formatted.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She's out of her coverage on that.

Why is her coverage over?

Even if she's not, depending on how long the Apple store will take to do the job, it may be preferable for me to do it anyway and take the opportunity to upgrade her hard drive while we're at it.

Yes but there still remains the difficulty of finding a suitable hard drive with the proper temp. sensor connector.

Even if cost isn't an issue...and even if you think you can replace it faster than Apple (local Apple Store can generally get it done the same day...if you have a local Apple Store.) You still have to find a suitable HD.

If you order an HD from somewhere...it's still going to take a 2-3 days (or more) to receive it. If you took the iMac to a local Apple Store today or tomorow...it would be done by today or tomorow!:)

In any case...here's a replacement 1TB internal HD that Crucial.com sells ($78.99):

Seagate Barracuda HDD 1 TB SATA-300,upgrades for Apple iMac (21.5 and 27-inch, Mid 2010) Desktop/PC, from Crucial.com

I couldn't find where it clearly states that it has the proper connections for the thermal sensor...you may want to call before ordering.

I still think that it would be faster & less expensive (I don't know too many folks who don't want to save $78.99 + shipping)...if the computer was taken to the Apple Store via the free replacemnt program.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Unless your are an IT expert take it to the Apple store.

10+ years of desktop support. I kind of am :)

Apple may still do nit under the free replacement program, and one must use proprietary heat sensor controls and cables.

Either those are in the computer, or they're in the drive. iFixit indicates that they're in the drive.

Are you saying that as long as I replace this drive with the same make that the existing cables will work? Or do you not know?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also...if the wrong HD is installed (no temp sensor hookup)...the computer will have problems (fans won't work properly, etc.).

There are various workarounds posted on the internet (to bypass the need for the proper HD)...but I'm not sure how reliable these workarounds are...or if it's even a good idea.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10+ years of desktop support. I kind of am :)

What you may not realize is..."harryb" has been around Macintosh computers MUCH longer than 10 years! So he's kind of an expert as well!:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
What you may not realize is..."harryb" has been around Macintosh computers MUCH longer than 10 years! So he's kind of an expert as well!:)

- Nick

Then I'll be glad to accept any helpful advice from him :)

OP
K
Reaction score
I still think that it would be faster & less expensive (I don't know too many folks who don't want to save $78.99 + shipping)...if the computer was taken to the Apple Store via the free replacemnt program.:)

If it's free and they can get it done in the same day, it's probably a no-brainer. However, for $100 or so I can get her twice the storage and I'm not limited to business hours. I can also get the drive locally if need be.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's free and they can get it done in the same day, it's probably a no-brainer. However, for $100 or so I can get her twice the storage and I'm not limited to business hours. I can also get the drive locally if need be.

If an upgrade to a HD larger than 1TB is important...then bypassing the free repair program makes perfect sense.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
One slight error and it will be like a Jumbo 747 with fans ramped up to full speed.

Kinda reminds me of my old G5 in a full blown kernel panic.

C

chas_m

I'm not sure we've done a good job of making this clear, so let me restate it as I understand it:

You can't replace this particular machine's hard drive with just any old drive. It has to be one that has proprietary heat sensor and control cables.

Thus, you doing the job is a non-starter unless you've got a source for these particular augmented drives (and you might, I don't know, I'm just saying off-the-shelf isn't going to work here).

So your options appear to be:

1. Have Apple do it, or
2. There is no second option.

If I'm mistaken, please feel free to correct me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.