Changing auto-fill info

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to change the information that auto-fill uses to fill in forms in a Safari page? In particular, I'd like to change the email address that gets filled in. I have three e-mail addresses, two of which I rarely use, or use for special purposes. My gmail account is the one I want to have auto-filled in, but it's another one, the one associated with my service provider, that gets used. I've tried rearranging the order of accounts in Mail and in the Address Book, and that doesn't work.

For that matter, is there some way to rearrange the order of addresses in Address Book? I've tried changing them, but Address Book insists on listing them in order as work, home, and other. I'd prefer home, work, and other, but when I edit them into this order, they rearrange themselves.

I'm running 10.6.8 on an iMac i5, with Safari 5.1.9.

Susan K

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Safari, Preferences, Autofill. Click on the appropriate "edit" button and correct any information that's needed.

OP
S
Reaction score
Editing the Preferences Autofill Edit won't work. That takes me to my Address Book, where I have the three email addresses. I still can't select which one I want. I suppose I could delete two of them, leaving only the one I want in autofill, but that rather defeats the purpose of having all my addresses in the Address Book!

I don't see how the other possibilities from the Edit… page would help, either. I don't have a form that looks useful±—only websites are listed—and the last option is just names and passwords.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyhow.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry, as far as I know, that's the only way to edit the Autofill information that gets displayed in Safari. Perhaps you can come up with a script that would fill in the info for you but that's not as easy to do.

The contacts address book lists contacts alphabetically with numbers first. Try putting the email address you want at the top of the list by placing a "1" before it. Of course that also means each time you insert it, you'll have to remove the "1". Not a very elegant way of doing it unfortunately.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Or get 1Password

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry, as far as I know, that's the only way to edit the Autofill information that gets displayed in Safari. Perhaps you can come up with a script that would fill in the info for you but that's not as easy to do.

The contacts address book lists contacts alphabetically with numbers first. Try putting the email address you want at the top of the list by placing a "1" before it. Of course that also means each time you insert it, you'll have to remove the "1". Not a very elegant way of doing it unfortunately.

My email addresses are not in alphabetical order. They are in order: f g c. Putting in a 1 made no difference. I guess there's no really useful advice. Thanks anyhow.

Susan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My email addresses are not in alphabetical order.

Strange, since the "Contacts" list names or as it was called in older versions of OS X, the Address Book, are alphabetized? (It's not the email addresses that are alphabetized) Put a one in front of the name that contains the email address you want and it should show up first.

OP
S
Reaction score
Strange, since the "Contacts" list names or as it was called in older versions of OS X, the Address Book, are alphabetized? (It's not the email addresses that are alphabetized) Put a one in front of the name that contains the email address you want and it should show up first.

My contacts are alphabetized, but the order of email addresses within a contact in the Address Book (I'm using 10.6.8) is not. The odd thing is that I can rearrange them in edit mode (the hard way: changing the kind (work, home, or other) to put home first, then moving the actual addresses to correspond. When I go out of edit mode, the Work entry is always first. When I go back into edit mode, it shows Home as first, the way I'd edited it! So, the visible address card is NOT the same as the edited one!

Anyhow, the address that autofill uses is the "other" address, the last one on the list.

I did try your suggestion of putting a 1 in front of the Home address, but it stayed in 2nd place.

Susan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.