Preview almost always opens 2 windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
Nearly every time I open a folder of images by selecting all and double clicking Preview splits the batch into two windows. Usually if I close both windows and repeat the same process it then opens in one single window. It's not so much a problem as it is annoying. Is there a reason this happens? Is there a way to stop it?

TIA!

Lefty

U

unbiasedmacuser

Open preview and hit + , and in the 'general' tab
There is an option to choose how preview deals with the way you open files.

OP
Lefty Loco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
Thanks! That did it. I'm still not sure how it was determining that photos in the same batch should be split into different groups, but no matter--it's resolved now.

U

unbiasedmacuser

Yeah, I actually noticed the same thing after answering your post, if i highlighted a few pics from the same folder and hit ⌘ + ↓ (It just opens the thing you have selected in finder) it would either open all of them in one window, or open them all in one window but leave one random image out in a separate window. From what I can tell it's supposed to work so that you can open one group of pictures, then separately open another group of pictures so you have 2 windows.... Very strange... Maybe worth a feedback report to apple maybe?

Sorry for the tl;dr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.