• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does anyone know how to work stupid PCs?????

L

lsutiger123

*****I APOLOGIZE FOR THIS BEING LONG, BUT I WANT TO BE AS DETAILED AS POSSIBLE FOR YOU GUYS******

OK I have a new iMac running the tiger OS X. I am directly connected to the internet through DSL ethernet cable. What I am tring to do is make this Mac my base computer and let other computers use the internet from it. I know how to connect a mac to a mac but I have two other PCs running XP on them that I want to be able to have wireless internet capabilities. I think I am supposed to go to System Preferences-->Sharing-->Internet tab. Then I can turn on internet sharing, BUT what to do then?? I guess I would be sharing from the Built in Ethernet since that is how i am connected? But what to do for "To computers using:"? The PC laptops have ethernet ports but niehter is plugged in, they dont have firewire, and they dont have airport; do windows have a wireless equivalent to airport? They are new laptops and have built in wireless so there is no need for a card. I tried turning iinternet sharing on FROM built in ehternet TO and i checked all three boxes and turned airport on in my imac. then i found my network on the PCs but they could not connect for some reason. Has anyone successfully shared internet wirelessly from a Mac to a PC? or does anyone knw what I am doing wrong? I'd appreciate some assistance please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
AirPort = 802.11b/g, AKA "wi-fi." ("AirPort" is just a lot easier to pronounce.)

What you're doing sounds correct; in the Sharing pane, select
Share your connection from: Ethernet
To computers using (check the AirPort box only)

Click the AirPort Options button, and then go to your PCs and make sure the wireless network settings match.

OP
L

lsutiger123

thanks technologist, ill have to try that. What exactly do i have to check for in the PCs? I have ichat, that may be easier bigboy7267

OP
T

topshot

You really need to buy a wireless broadband/router. Sharing internet connections through other computers has never really worked that well and routers these days are not that expensive.

OP
T

trungthiendo

get a router, that sharing **** is ridiculous, and a router would save you so much on energy bill,

40 bucks gets u a wifi router at the local tech store, **** even walmart should have that ****

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram
As said, get a router. It will solve many headaches now and down the road. I like my Linksys WRT54G, but any 802.11b/g router will work just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.