MB Air Doesn't find airport

Reaction score
Hello Mac-ers,

I disconnected and connected the airport card while the mb Air found itself on. From that point on the problem started. When I connect the airport card connector to the logic board and disconnect the Bluetooth connector to the logic board it won't turn on, however when I connect both airport and Bluetooth connectors the MB air turns on. If I disconnect the airport card while the Bluetooth finds itself connected the Bluetooth changes status. I checked the airport antennas and cleaned the airport card connectors. I have resetted the pram and the Smc. I would really appreciate any help with this.

Kind regards,

Jorge

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I understand your post correctly, you disconnected and connected the airport card while your MacBook Air was turned on? If that's what you did, I suspect you blew the airport card and now will need a new one. Never remove an active component from a live circuit as that will very likely destroy it.

I'm not sure where you can get a replacement card for your model MBA but you can try these:

iFixit: The free repair manual

Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad

Mac Parts & Apple Parts Store - Macintosh Parts

OP
Reaction score
If the Bluetooth and wifi functions find themselves on one card, how come my Bluetooth still works?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the Bluetooth and wifi functions find themselves on one card, how come my Bluetooth still works?

It's possible that only the Airport function was destroyed if both exist on the same card. I've seen that happen with other electronic devices. The more complex the card (multifunction), the more that can go wrong.

OP
Reaction score
Good News! The airport card has now reappeared when I connect the external dvd drive with the mac os x install disk in it. This seems like a software issue. How can I fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This seems like a software issue. How can I fix this?

Re-install OS X. Drivers are built into OS X so they can't be installed or removed separately. If a kext is out of whack, the only way I know how to fix it is by re-installing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.