Update of OS from 10.7.5 to 10.8.4

Reaction score
I am running a late 2009 Mac mini (2.53 mhz; Core 2 Duo; 8 GB RAM) and a 2011 MacBook Pro. I purchased Mountain Lion last year when I bought both systems and have noticed that my Macbook Pro has updated to 10.8.4 while my Mac mini remains at 10.7.5. When I have checked for updates on my mini it says everything is up to date. When I have manually downloaded 10.8.4 and tried to update it states that I must have 10.8 on my system (which doesn't appear to exist). Looking for clues as to what to do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you had made a bootable USB flash drive when you downloaded Mountain Lion to update your MacBook Pro, you could have used it to update your Mini. So, here's what you need to do:

Download Mountain Lion again from your MacBook Pro (it's free), and instead of installing it to the MacBook Pro, use the installer to make a USB flash drive. Use the flash drive to then install Mountain Lion on your Mini.

Follow these instructions to make the flash drive. Note: you need a flash drive of at least 8GB capacity. LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.