• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Question about time capsule?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
I'm thinking about getting a time capsule for my mac and i know that it is essentially a external hard drive, what i don't understand is what the job of the router is? i understand routers provide internet access through wifi. Does this work together with my existing ATT wireless service? or is it a separate network? can someone explain how this works?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you don't have an existing router on your network the Time Capsule can do that. If you have a router you can disable this feature on either your router or the Time Capsule. You don't generally want to devices providing routing functions. Apple - Mac - AirPort Time Capsule

It should be able to join your existing wireless network or be used as a separate network. Which AT&T device do you have?

If you have an existing wireless network and all you really want is a network accessible hard drive there may be cheaper ways to do that?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My AT&T device is a router provided in my UVerse package. I just don't know if the time capsule has its own wireless service or if it just acts as a router for my AT&T service.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you can tell me the model of your AT&T device I can be more specific about whether the time capsule would be appropriate. Here's what I can say.

1. Time Capsule's can act as routers but since your AT&T device does that you don't need the Time Capsule to do it also. Only one of them should be the router.

2. The Time Capsule can be set up to provide wireless access. Basically you connect the Time Capsule to the AT&T device and set up a wireless network using the Time Capsule.

Wireless access is not the same thing as wireless access. Think of the router as a "traffic cop". It directs information to and from the internet to the devices on your network. Wireless access simply means you can send information without being physically connected to your network.

If you can tell us more about your setup (what model AT & T device, what computers, etc). I am sure we can help. Also what are you trying to accomplish:
1. Access the Internet wirelessly
2. Use the Time Capsule as a backup device
3. Extend an existing wireless network

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I'm asking is if I bought the time capsule (I already want to use it as an external hd) will i still need to pay AT&T for the wireless they provide? So the router is nothing without the service. Kinda like a phone with no carrier. Is this right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What I'm asking is if I bought the time capsule (I already want to use it as an external hd) will i still need to pay AT&T for the wireless they provide? So the router is nothing without the service. Kinda like a phone with no carrier. Is this right?

NO not at all. The TimeCapsule if you can connect to the ATT router/modem via ethernet and then set the Time Capsule up to Extend the Wireless network you all ready have.
I have this setup, and a full 234GB backup took only 5 hrs to the TC with TimeMachine.

Or you can set your TC up on the same network as the ATT wireless network and backup completely wirelessly which will take like forever.

You won't be charged anything extra, because you are using a existing wireless network to extend one is all

HTH

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if I didn't have AT&T at all lets say. And I just bought the time capsule. THAT'S ALL I HAD. Then I wouldn't need to pay a monthly fee for wifi? I'm so confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
NO you STILL NEED a ISP which is ATT. You can't do without one of those. You need them for the internet, if you don't want internet then don't have ATT.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

This is what I was getting at. The time capsules router function is useless without AT&T the ISP. Which you said was wrong, so that's why I'm confused I guess. I think I understand now haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh i get ya. If you just want to use it as a Backup, then there is no need for ATT. With the Timecapsule, you can set it up as Create New Wireless Network, Join a Existing wireless network or Extend a wireless network.
I use to have a Airport Express as my home Wireless network without the internet so i could sync devices. So NO you don't NEED ATT but if you want internet you do. Now i know what your going on about lol

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help Hahaa usually I understand tech.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.