Time Machine backup goes POOF, gone

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm not a Mac owner, I'm attempting to help a computer-timid neighbor who is. (Though in case it gets me any points here, my first computer was an Apple ][+. Which still works fine, btw, though now it's serving as a Linux terminal courtesy of App][ Kermit's VT200 emulation and a crossover serial cable, so it displays a $ prompt instead of a >.) Neighbor has a newish iMac with Lion.

Anyway, Rebecca the neighbor has a daughter who downloaded all kinds of internet trash onto her nice clean mac and she wanted to set it back to out-of-the-box condition. Since I wanted to help Rebecca but not p.o. the daughter unnecessarily I made a major effort to preserve her files. I am not exactly a computer noob--my first Linux distro was Slackware kernel version 1.0.13 circa 1992, and I was running SysV R3.2 Unix at home before that; also I have an MCSE cert for what that's worth--but not being a Mac guy I had an Apple helpdesk tech talking to me while doing all the following. With the tech instructing me I made a full Time Machine backup of the 500 GB internal drive to a new bought-for-the-purpose 1 TB external USB HD. I verified this backup, browsed down into it, opened some of the backed-up files, etc. etc. Everything looked fine. Then I rebooted, stopped the boot before login, started up Disk Utility, reformatted the internal drive HFS+, then reinstalled OSX from some server in Apple-land. That all went successfully too. Rebecca put the USB Time Machine HD back in its box in a locked drawer of her desk. (A wooden desk btw, not much chance for random static discharges there.)

So now it's a week later and daughter wants some of her files. The Mac now finds nothing on the Time Machine drive. Plug its power supply into 110v, connect its USB cable to the Mac, and System Information sees a HitachiGST Touro Desk 3.0 drive connected to the system. But neither Finder nor Disk Utility sees anything on it.

Can anyone suggest anything I can try that might help locate the HFS+ filesystem I created and filled with data such a short time ago? Please be as technical as you like, if I don't understand your reply I'll RTFM until I do.

Thanks very much!
Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So now it's a week later and daughter wants some of her files. The Mac now finds nothing on the Time Machine drive. Plug its power supply into 110v, connect its USB cable to the Mac, and System Information sees a HitachiGST Touro Desk 3.0 drive connected to the system. But neither Finder nor Disk Utility sees anything on it.

Can anyone suggest anything I can try that might help locate the HSF+ filesystem I created and filled with data such a short time ago? Please be as technical as you like, if I don't understand your reply I'll RTFM until I do.

Run Disk Utility. What does it say about the drive? Any partitions? How are they formatted? Can you post a screen cap? See link below for guide on how to take screen shots in OS X.
Capture a Screen Shot with Mac OS X

Using Time Machine requires an HFS+ formatted drive, so there's simply no realistic chance the Mac is just failing to see it for some reason. HFS+ is OS X's native file system. Best guess is the drive has failed, or somehow you removed the partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi Jim,

That all went successfully too. Rebecca put the USB Time Machine HD back in its box in a locked drawer of her desk.

Did you unmount the TM disk correctly prior to the above?

OP
Y
Reaction score
Located!

newscribe, thanks very much for your replies. Couldn't get access to this particular Mac for a couple of days, owner was away. But I did have the external drive to poke at. You were right, hardware failure. Not irrecoverable, luckily. It was not the drive itself but the external wall-wart-style power supply. Rated at 12v 1.5a (and the same info is stamped on the drive enclosure so I think they mean it) but the multimeter says it's not supplying even 1 amp, quite. Picked up a replacement supply and tried it out and there's the partition and the Time Machine backup right where it should be. I'm very glad this particular drive had an external, hence replaceable, PS and was not internally powered from the usb port. Thanks again!
Jim

OP
Y
Reaction score
additional thankyou

Ahem. Thanks for your reply also, lifeisabeach. Hardware failure was your suggestion.
Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi Jim,

That's good news pleased all is ok now:D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well that was an easy fix! Some of those Wal Warts are pretty poorly made. Glad you got that sorted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. It never would have occurred to me that the power supply would be the culprit. Definitely gonna have to keep this one in mind.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
LB I have a Firewire/USB Western Digital external. The drive is perfect after a few years of use but one day it would not show up and the power light seemed dim. I got suspicious and checked the voltages (this one has a 5 and 12VDC Split very heavy duty looking power adapter with a 3-Wire cord). Well one voltage was WAY down so I hooked up another power supply just to test and sure enough, the drive was great again. Got another PS on Ebay and it's been running fine for 2 years now. So it does happen.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Interesting. It never would have occurred to me that the power supply would be the culprit. Definitely gonna have to keep this one in mind.

Same here. Maybe I have a use for that multimeter after all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LB I have a Firewire/USB Western Digital external. The drive is perfect after a few years of use but one day it would not show up and the power light seemed dim. I got suspicious and checked the voltages (this one has a 5 and 12VDC Split very heavy duty looking power adapter with a 3-Wire cord). Well one voltage was WAY down so I hooked up another power supply just to test and sure enough, the drive was great again. Got another PS on Ebay and it's been running fine for 2 years now. So it does happen.

That reminds me of the time a buddy of mine had recently moved into a new house. He was setting up his office and was having trouble with his flatbed scanner. It'd "try" to scan, but the wand moved very slowly. I thought it looked like it something that had a low battery, then suggested that he may have plugged in the wrong power supply. He rooted through another box and sure enough, there was what turned out to be the right one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was in a hurry one day! I grabbed the wrong AC Adapter but it was the reverse of your friends and within a few minutes smoke started from the scanner! Oops. It was a way higher voltage but looked similar from the outside. Lesson learned!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently you have been to my house before Dennis. When I was in High School a neighbor brought over one of those "shoebox" cassette recorders. The cord had a short wight where the wire meets the power "brick".

At that point I had fixed several things by cutting the cord below the break and replacing the plug. As I am sure you have guessed that was a complete failure. Complete with the obligatory small flame and puff of smoke.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That reminds me of when I was in the military... we had just deployed to Bangkok, Thailand from a US base and had all our equipment with us. We began to setup and really never checked the mains... so we plugged everything in, fans, power supplies, radios, etc. Within about 5 minutes we had major smoke everywhere. The doggone AC main power plugs in Bangkok at that time looked exactly like ours at home except... they were 220 V 50 Hz. Of course all our equipment at that time was US power only. :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ROTFL. That's got me beat hands down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.