Currently getting reacquainted with a MacBook Pro

Reaction score
and hope I didn't do anything too drastitic...But the person before me had a folder as his name on the Sidebar in Finder.

Yesterday, while in a conference and my machine hooked up to the flat screen and everybody could see my computer and what I was doing. My boss noticed the previous person's name in Finder and mentioned I should change it.

I have tried before unsuccessfully -- Today I clicked on and there was an option that said "remove from sidebar" -- So I chose that

MAJOR DOWNSIDE is that is where are all the pre-existing work was. And I have searched for certain files in that and they are nowhere to be found.

I can not believe that they are permanently gone and I must be overlooking something here.

Is there a way I can undo that or retrieve that folder? Where did it go? It is not in the Trash

Please, any ideas would be greatly appreciate.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That should not have deleted anything but just removed it from showing in the Sidebar. Click on Finder up top in the toolbar, and on Preferences, then on the Sidebar tab. See if you see that there and simply put a checkmark by it. If its' not there let us know.

If you are truly talking about the sidebar in the finder window, I just tried exactly what you did then tried what I suggested and all is back. Removing from the Sidebar does NOT delete that from the computer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If the person you got the machine from name is showing you need to make a new account and move everything over to the new account.

You can do that in users. You can also change the user name in Users. You have to unlock the lock on the bottom. Do you know the machines password at all?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.