IOS 7 beta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2007, ipod 4g, iphone 4, ipad 2, windows vista, windows 7
I am soon to be an apple dev and wanted to download ios 7 beta, unfortunately I have an ipod touch 4g so I was wondering what would happen if I were to install it on my ipod 4g instead of a 5g. Could I do it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Only the 5th gen iPod touch is supported, iOS 7 will not instal on the 4th iPod Touch..

(outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15in Mid 2012(2.6 GHz Intel Core i7), iPhone 6 Plus 128GB,iPad 4 128GB,iPod Touch 4G 64GB
Yeah Apple is irritating me with not letting iPod Touch 4G get the update that is one of the reasons I left Android because my Evo Line was getting no love with updates after being a year old. They have only released one update to the iPod line from what I remember yet the iPad 3 gets the updates. So why did I purchase the iPad 4 if the 3 still gets iOS love? Lol.

Reaction score
iOS 7 Beta is for Limited versions of iPhone's iPad's and iPod's. All the models before iPhone 4 are not compatible with iOS 7. This is might unfair for iPhone and iPad users.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iOS 7 Beta is for Limited versions of iPhone's iPad's and iPod's. All the models before iPhone 4 are not compatible with iOS 7. This is might unfair for iPhone and iPad users.

What is unfair about it? Newer versions of OS' require newer hardware and thus older generations are excluded. The older devices work,fine on iOS versions 4, 5, and 6 where appropriate..

Reaction score
What is unfair about it? Newer versions of OS' require newer hardware and thus older generations are excluded. The older devices work,fine on iOS versions 4, 5, and 6 where appropriate..

Unfair in the sense, millions of Apple users still using so-cold old technology. So this is bit disappointing that they did not get the update on their gadgets even they are iPhone/iPad users.

iPhone 4 got the update, then why not to expect for iPhone 3gs.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Millions of Apple Users upgrade fairly often and if you choose not to do so, you can continue to use the phone on the version of iOS that's already running on it..

If you compare the capabilities of the iPhone 3G/3GS to the iPhone 4 or iPhone 5, you'll find that there is JUST no comparison..

Apple could indeed support the iPhone 3G or even the first generation iPhone with iOS 7. But the lack of hardware capabilities means that you'd have to limit the functionality severely and you'll have people complaining for those reasons..

Also, this is absolutely nothing new for Apple which has been doing this for a very long time. They are the first and earl adopters of a lot of new technology and have no problem leaving other technology behind. Witness the lack of optical drives in most of the new Macs..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Unfair in the sense, millions of Apple users still using so-cold old technology. So this is bit disappointing that they did not get the update on their gadgets even they are iPhone/iPad users.
"Old technology" is a relative term. iOS 6 is still a fully capable and modern smartphone OS. This is similar to those arguments which suggest that Android 4.0 is old when it is equally capable.

iPhone 4 got the update, then why not to expect for iPhone 3gs.
That logic is a bit problematic though. If you do support the 3GS, why not the 3G then? In fact, why not support the 2G? This starts to fall apart when you consider that it has to stop somewhere and as the company that designed iOS, I'm willing to bet that they know where to stop support. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.