Slow start up

Reaction score
Just comparing out new Macbook Air to my over 2 year old Macbook. I've tried deleting/uninstalling unnecessary stuff, but it still takes a long time to load.When I open up chrome it bounces for along time whereas in one click on the Macbook air it is up.

Is there even a possible way to speed things up? My old comp is still on Snow Leopard. Would updating speed it up? Just curious.

I don't really want to add more memory. I just want to know ways to speed up the comp without doing all that. I figured deleting stuff would help but it doesn't. I don't get it.

Is there an easy way to clean everything off your comp? I really only write on here, so I just have my writing backed up and my word. Just wish there was a way to make it as fast as being new!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are not comparing apples to oranges since your Macbook has a HD that's likely running at 5400RPM while the MBA is using a SSD which is going to be way faster on reads.

Also, if your MBA is the latest generation, it's based on the Haswell processor which is quite speedy and benchmarks really well compared to other processors with faster speeds..

Depending on what maintenance you've been doing (or not doing) on your Macbook is also going to determine how well it behaves. Doing disk/permission repairs and using OnyX to clean things up should help greatly.

A clean-install of Snow Leopard or even Mountain Lion should get you back to square one as far as performance goes..

C

chas_m

Just comparing out new Macbook Air to my over 2 year old Macbook.

Ashwin explained why this was. Technology improves.

Is there even a possible way to speed things up? My old comp is still on Snow Leopard. Would updating speed it up? Just curious.

Your old computer probably IS running like new. It only looks bad compared to the BIG changes in technology your MBA has on board. But if you want to "speed it up," here's what to do:

1. Max out the RAM
2. Make sure you have LOTS of hard drive space free AT ALL TIMES
3. Don't "close" apps you're not using; quit them properly.
4. Consider replacing the HD with an SSD or perhaps and SSD/HD hybrid drive.

I don't really want to add more memory.

This is a completely contradictory statement to your stated desire to speed it up.

I figured deleting stuff would help but it doesn't.

Of course not. What would inert files sitting on a hard drive have to do with how fast the computer operates? The HD only becomes a factor if its too full, in which case you are right, deleting stuff would have helped -- but it sounds like this wasn't the issue, so that's good -- but it points to more RAM as the most logical (well, cheapest and easiest) method of improving the machine.

Is there an easy way to clean everything off your comp? I really only write on here, so I just have my writing backed up and my word. Just wish there was a way to make it as fast as being new!

Without doing the things suggested above, this WON'T HELP, but if you are determined to start over:

1. Make one more backup of the stuff you care about saving.
2. Boot from the Snow Leopard DVD your machine came with. Erase the drive and install a new copy of the OS.
3. Once rebooted, use Migration Assistant to put your stuff back on as it was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.