Web Sharing

Reaction score
Hopefully this is "Operating System" related. If not let me know. I found an old article that says I need to put a check mark on "Web Sharing", but of course this does not apply to the current operating system (10.8.4), so to get Apache running how is it done now?

And how do I verify Apache is even on this computer? I read somewhere that OS X comes with it already installed but I don't know where it is.

OP
C
Reaction score

I tried using the info in that article but all I get is Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to localhost

so, the article must be incomplete.

I've noticed that the /etc/apache2/httpd.conf file references a non-existing directory called "libexec" and non-existing files that have a .so extension on them. Do I need to download these files from somewhere?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
MAMP is the easy way of getting going with Apache, MySQL and PHP..

OP
C
Reaction score
MAMP is the easy way of getting going with Apache, MySQL and PHP..

I'd consider it but I tried registering for their forum and apparently they no longer accept new members or the site is no longer being maintained. So it seems support would be lacking. Also they try to get you to buy an upgrade version.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You don't need to register on the forums - you can download it here. Note that MAMP is really designed for testing and shouldn't be used for production (outward facing) websites.

Take a look at this if you want to use the built in tools.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As vansmith says, you can download MAMP for free and yes it lacks support, but then the idea is that you are setting up a web server and presumably designing a website, so you know what you are doing..:)

If that isn't the case, then perhaps you want to go the route of getting hosting from any of the billion providers out there and work on that site using the IP address or some other access scheme before going live with your domain..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.